Chapter Twenty - The End

Rescue was supposed to be here a week ago. It's been 3 months and 1 week since the USS PERTEMPTO crashed. I'm stuck here for good.

Since Derik passed, my life has been bleak. I do the same thing every day, but it feels horribly pointless. I convinced myself I had to survive for Derik, Lou, and my family, but I don't know what I'll do now that I know I'll never be rescued.

Is there even a reason to keep surviving?

I can't help but think no. Every morning I've tried to remind myself of my reasons to keep going, but they all pale in comparison to the fact that I'm stranded on this planet for good.

My mind has been replaying the image of burying Derik in the sand. I don't know why, but that's all I can think about today.

I placed him on the other side of the island so I wouldn't have to pass by him every day and be reminded. I still think about it all the time, despite my efforts.

I'm going to join him soon. There's no point to me surviving. Everything stopping me is gone. I don't want to wait for this damned planet to kill me.

Once I find the motivation to get up from my sleeping position, I wander into the forest to find something to eat. The second I see a fruity bush, I snap up the fruit and walk back to the beach. I bite down on the crisp fresh food as I watch the waves of the ocean. The fruit has no flavor anymore.

I think hard on my reasons to live, anything to stop me from killing myself. I really can't think of anything. Derik is gone, Lou is gone, there's no chance of seeing my family again. All of the hope I've had the last few months is completely gone. I've given up.

What's the best way to do it? I don't want to wait, I just want to move on from this place.

I could drown myself. Let the thing I once loved be my downfall. It sounds stupidly poetic, and I hate it. But I think that's the easiest thing to do.

I wait until the sun begins to set. Derik loved the sunsets, so I think it's appropriate.

I journey over to Derik's grave. I look down at the rocks and leaves and flowers I placed around him on the sand. I wish he could've stayed.

I turn my back to him and face the sun. I stare at the beautiful orange hues as I walk into the water.

Ankle deep, knee deep, waist deep.

I close my eyes as the water gets deeper. It's up to my chest now.

Suddenly, the light from the sun disappears. The color I see from behind my eyelids turns from red to black.

What is that?

When I open my eyes, I see a huge shape blocking out the sun.

Is that a spaceship?

Oh my gosh, that's a ship.

I'm not alone anymore.