twenty seven

For the past month, everything had stilled. Ever since Rory had been taken, Jerome's activity had stopped, it was like he disappeared completely. Gordan, who had now fully recovered from his injuries, had dedicated all of his time trying to find his daughter. Following any lead that he thought could be linked to Jerome and his cult. But he always came up with nothing. Every lead just ended with a brick wall. 

With Jerome gone, Gotham had entered a tense period of peace. With crime activity taking a massive nosedive. This decrease in criminal activity wasn't a good thing in Jim's eyes. He viewed it as a calm before the storm and he was just waiting for that storm to arrive. It was just a month of waiting, waiting for a sign from Jerome. 

A couple of weeks ago, reports of a large gathering on the outskirts of the city came trickling into the GCPD. Jim's intuition knew that what ever it was, was not good. Then, a couple of days after these reports, a priest was found hanging in ruins of an old abandoned church. 

#

Jim arrived late to the crime scene, as he stepped out of the car the strong scent of burnt smoke and gasoline struck him. The area was taped off, with a couple of uniformed police officers standing by. Behind the yellow tape was the forensics team, who seemed to be everywhere, their white jumpsuits and blue gloves starkly contrasting with the grey and muddy environment of the old church. 

As Jim approached the entrance of the church, he spotted Harvey. 

"What is this?" Jim asked as he reached his partner. 

Harvey turned quickly at Jim's question. He had a concerned expression on his face, something which wasn't common for him when at a crime scene. He sighed as he met Jim's gaze. Jim frowned at this. 

"You are not going to like it," Harvey stated, before leading Jim into the church. 

What Jim saw took his breath away. 

The roof of the church itself caved in, the altar had been crushed by the fallen debris and the pews were lined with fallen rock and wood from the damage. Hanging at the end of the aisle was the body of a priest, the rope hooked onto a beam which was still keeping half of the roof intact. Decorating the priests face was a bloody smile, which had been painted onto his cheeks. On the wall behind the body, was a large circular stained glass window. Just underneath this was a message written in green graffiti. 

TO CHAOS. 

Jim as stunned at the scene he faced. He had never seen something so creepy.

"That poor bastard," Harvey commented, breaking Jim's attention. 

"This has to be Jerome," Jim responded, walking closer to the body. 

Surrounding the priest were the coroners, who were taking pictures of the body and the crime scene. 

"'To chaos'" Harvey read aloud, "what do you think that means?" he asked, looking to Jim. 

"Hell if I knows," Jim responded, the words stuck to his mind as he looked at them. 

He walked over to the coroner's. 

"Any idea's fellas?" He asked.

"Well, we can defiantly rule out suicide," one of them said as they looked at the camera screen. 

"But, of course, can't tell any more than that until we get the body down," they commented as the looked up at the body. 

Jim hummed as a respond. 

He looked up at the priest, then at the graffiti behind him. TO CHAOS. This was it, whatever Jerome had planned, it was the beginning. The words were a warning, a warning to not just for Jim, but for all of Gotham. 

A/N - I realise that I havent updated in like two months, so I'm sorry for the wait. I've just had major writers block. I know this chapter is a bit slow as well, but it's just me attempting to get my mojo back. Any ideas on whats going to happen next? I hope you enjoyed this chapter even though it is pretty short. 

If you want to support the Black Lives Matter movement there is a petition on my profile which is trying to get justice for Breonna Taylors murder. They STILL haven't been arrested which is just wrong, it'll only take a couple of seconds and all you need to do is give ur name and ur email address. Then ur done. 

Anyway, hope you are all staying safe and healthy!

See you in the next chapter, 

- R. x