Chapter 2 - Warning

Alexis's POV:

We drove to the ranch and the driver who I learned was named Ryan, carried my and Jewel's bags into our room. I saw him giving Jewel weird looks and I shot him a deadly look. He tried to smile at me but I glared again. No one was ever going to look at my daughter like she was a freak. She was mine and I would protect her. I helped Jewel unpack her things and her mine. We depended on each other. It was nice to know I would never be alone. I wished I hadn't gotten pregnant so young but she was worth it. I had a little genius and I loved her dearly.

Jewel was tired and was soon asleep. I walked down the stairs of the large ranch house and went to help Grandmother with dinner. She was busy at her work and I leaned against the doorway.

“Thanks, Grandma, for taking me in. I am grateful for the place to stay.” She turned toward me and flashed a toothless smile.

“No problem, Darling. I need someone to stay with me. Would you help me with the mashed potatoes? I am having guests over.” I smiled at her and started to work on potatoes. She smiled at me and said,

“I need to tell you a few things about living here. We have some strange people. There is a group of rustlers that like to come down from the mountains and steal cattle. They have killed before.” I shuddered at the thought. They didn't sound like nice people. Suddenly I began to have my doubt about coming. “And then there is the Horse King.” I stopped work on the potatoes and gave Grandma a weird look.

“What Horse King?” She sighed.

“Well, there is a man, or at least he is thought to be a man, who lives in the mountains. We don't know if he is involved with the rustlers or not but he is strange. He wears a black mask that covers everything but his eyes and his mouth. His rides a fine black mustang without a saddle. His does have something like a bridle but rides the horse bareback. No one knows anything about him but he was given the name Horse King because he seems to rule the mustangs in this area. I wouldn't advise meeting him. He could be dangerous. He had proven dangerous before. Once he killed a man who tried to touch his mustangs.” I shuddered at the sound of it. This man didn't sound like the type that I would want to get involved with. I was the type of girl that didn't run around with the dangerous men. The one time I had gone a little too far into the dangerous side I was raped and left with Jewel. True I wouldn't trade her for the world but I wished that I had been married when I had had her. But there was something about this man that made me slightly curious. I didn't know why and I certainly didn't understand why a man would remain in the wild with wild horses as he only companion. I smiled at Grandmother and said,

“How interesting. I will stay away. I don't want to meet any of them. I will keep Jewel with me or a ranch hand at all times. Has there been any kidnapping problems?” Grandmother shook her head.

“No, Dear. The rustlers only care about cattle and the Horse King never comes out of the hills unless he needs to.”

“What happens when he does come out?” Grandmother shuddered,

“Nothing good. Sheriff Richard Down wants his hide. He and Richard have been butting heads for years. I don't know why. It is something personal. The whole town thinks that.” I didn't want to know about the local gossip so I didn't ask anymore questions. We finished the meal and I went up to fetch Jewel. Grandmother hadn't yet said who the guest was so I was completely unprepared when this hunk came walking through the door. He was tall with a full head of black hair and blue eyes. His shoulders just fit through the narrow door and I could see his muscles rippling. I held back my blush and looked toward Jewel. She looked at him and I saw her flinch. This girl was amazing. She knew a friend when she met one and there were times when I trusted her judgment. When I saw her draw back I suddenly felt nervous. He smiled and held out his hand to her.

“How are you, miss?” She carefully took it and whispered,

“Fine thank you.” He raised his eyebrows. My daughter talked like a seven year old when she was only half that age.

“How old are you?” Jewel didn't smile. She just replied,

“I am three.” He drew back in shock.

“So young but so calm.” He turned toward me and said gently, “She is well mannered. Quite well mannered for a girl of her age.” I nodded. He smiled and my heart skipped. This was going to difficult for me. I wasn't good with handsome men. Never had been and never would be. My only hope was that my face wouldn't act on its own and embarrass me.