Chapter 6 - Meeting the Horse King

Alexis's POV:

Darkness covered my vision and all I could think was how much my ankle hurt. It was then I realized my eyes were close. I carefully opened them and looked around. I was in a small room. It looked to be someone bedroom. The bed was small and the room unfurnished. Just a desk, a chair, and nightstand were in it other than the bed. In the chair sat a man. He was facing me but his eyes were closed as if he was asleep. I knew in one instant he was the Horse King. After all, I remembered his from last night. Or had it been last night. I didn't know how long I had been out. I didn't make a sound but studied him instead. He was tall from what I could see. His shoulders were broad and from what I could see his chest solid. I blushed at the thoughts that ran through my mind. His face was covered in a black mask and a black cloak was draped around his shoulders. He wore a pair of snug black jeans and a silver embroidered shirt which was also black. I cleared my throat and his eyes opened. They were a perfect shade of green. I held in a gasp. They were so perfect. He stood up and I realized he was taller than I had thought. Yep, this man was perfect. I wondered what he looked like under the mask. The mask clung to his features and I could see that he had prominent cheek bones and a strong chin. All that added up to a handsome man. I quickly snapped my mouth shut when I realized I had my mouth hanging open. He walked over to me and laid a hand on my forehead. They were gloved. I couldn't imagine why. He frowned.

"Well, your fever seemed to have gone away. It wasn't major but I don't like fevers." I smiled at him. He looked at me and I saw a hint of sadness in his perfect eyes.

"How is my ankle?" He smiled and said,

"Still broken but it will heal in about six weeks. You can probably go home in four. But for now, I want you to stay in bed." Suddenly one though pervaded my mind. In my gawking at his perfect figure I had forgotten about Jewel. He must have seen my agitated look because he said,

"What's wrong?"

"Where is Jewel?" He laughed. I wished I could see his expression. I could imagine that he was smiling but I couldn't tell. That laugh was perfect. Oh, why did everything about him have to be so perfect.

"She is resting in the living room. She had a concussion and a few bruises but nothing worse. If you want I can bring her in?" I nodded quickly. I didn't trust anyone else with her. She was mine and I was afraid for her because of her deformity. He left for a moment then returned with the sleeping girl in his arms. He set her down carefully beside me. It was almost like he cared about her. Almost as if he had looked beyond the face. I quickly wrapped my arms around her and pulled her close. I looked up at him and saw tears hanging in his green eyes. My face was instantly filled with concern.

"What's wrong?" He had been staring at Jewel but now looked up at me and said,

"I remember a boy who looked like her. Only worse. His mother never held him or even seemed to care what happened to him. It hurt him so bad. He wanted to be loved and held but no one would even get near him. He lived alone in a house full of people until he was seven. When he was seven his mother sent him left him in the wild. She told him to make it on his own. He was never seen again." He sounded so sad. I looked down at the sleeping girl in my arms.

"Do you know what happened to him?" He looked up at me and met my eyes with his.

"Well, I guess I do. He is still alive and still alone. Like he always was." He sighed and changed the subject. "I better let you go back to sleep. Unless, you are hungry?" I nodded. My stomach chose that moment to make its announcement. I laughed and he chuckled.

"I will be back soon." He walked through the door and left me and Jewel. Twenty minutes later he returned with some soup for me to eat. He sat in the chair and didn't say a word as I ate. I was quickly getting the idea that the Horse King wasn't much for talking. I finished off and he took the bowl from me. He walked out and I heard a piano start playing. I held Jewel closer and fell asleep the piano playing of the Horse King. You know, he wasn't so bad after all.