14.

‘But that is not right. How can they arrest someone when they have not even alerted the village about the prince’s disappearance, something doesn't add up.’

Dererai was one of Hombarume and Ushe’s friends and he was one among the people who had now heard of Hombarume’s arrest the previous day. Ushe had called the men of the village to discuss a way forward. The day was half spent already and the dare had not be called, Hombarume’s fate was still unknown. Nobody had a clue about what was really going on and why their fellow mate had been suddenly taken prisoner.

‘They haven’t called the dare either. Banga is playing with fire I tell you,’ Ushe said.

‘Where was all this energy when Simba was abducted last summer, hmm? Where was it? Just a lot of false promises, but when his own blood-‘ Dererai was interrupted.

‘Is that boy even his blood? We all have heard the stories,’ another man said.

‘We must demand answers; we need to at least know what our brave hunter is being arrested for. Who is with me?’ Ushe asked, rallying his crowd before they all cheered him out in unison.

‘Onward to the palace we go!’ Dererai said with his fist punching the air.

***

The next morning was quite chaotic for the trading trio that had visited the small village of Rujeko. The sun rose and its beautiful light came into the hut waking Batanai up. They had to depart from the village as fast as they could as their employer had finally come to his senses and decided to go.

Batanai moved across the room making sure everything was in order as quietly as possible as he didn’t want to wake his mate up yet. He packed all their belongings and all their valuables, their change of clothing as traders had to look presentable at all times to score the favour of whomever they were dealing with.

He perused through the sack to make sure everything was intact then shuffled to the other end of the hut, just above Hamandishe’s head where his most prized possession had been safely put away in another sack. On lifting the sack he found it to be extremely light, a far great deal lighter than a golden art piece the size of a human head should ever be. It was nowhere to be found, he went on to search the entire room thoroughly and in a less tidy manner than he previously had.

‘My friend, what is wrong?’

Hamandishe had finally woken up from the noise of metal clinking and vigorous ruffling.

‘But it was there just yesterday, when you dropped it.’

Batanai scratched his head, displaying more of his confusion.

‘The head?’

‘Yes, the head is missing,’ Batanai said, intensifying his worried look.

‘The gods would never allow it, are you sure?’ Hamandishe said as he quickly sprung up from his mat.

‘I searched every corner, every crevice of the hut, it is gone.’

As Hamandishe began a thorough search of his own as Anesu walked into the hut.

‘What happened?’

‘The head is gone,’ Hamandishe said from behind a collection of weaponry.

‘Gone?’

Anesu was quite shocked.

‘When we woke up, it was nowhere to be found,’ Batanai said.

‘Are you sure it was in your possession all this while?’ Anesu asked.

‘I dropped it yesterday when I was making sure everything was there, Batanai saw it.’

‘It is true.’

Anesu scratched his head.

‘Were we robbed?’ Anesu said, his eyes quickly shifting to the weaponry Hamandishe was going through.

‘Everything else is there, sir,’ Batanai confirmed.

‘Hmm, then it might be someone who knew how valuable it is or saw you with it,’ Anesu said.

‘There are only two other people here, the housemaster and that other visitor.’

Hamandishe said trying to wreck his brain and solve the mystery, another setback in their journey.

‘We cannot leave until that piece is found,’ Anesu said.

‘But we have to get to the plantations, vakuru,’ Hamandishe said.

‘I know that piece does not just hold trade value to you, friend. You may say you don’t want it but I know it is special and we’re going to find the pathetic robber who did this,’ Anesu said.

‘So we will not make it to the plantations?‘ Batanai asked.

‘We will not make it to the plantations,’ Anesu replied.

When they found the other visitor on compound grounds who was also a trader like them, he was outside the kitchen enjoying some maize-meal porridge and sunbathing. The two advisors had never in their lifetime seen their employer engage in violence or even ball his hands into fists, not even the previous summer when the chaos with Sekai had ensued, but today was a first.

The man’s bowl of porridge went flying across the air and smashed into the wall near the entrance to the kitchen, leaving the molten mixture to slowly trickle down to the ground. His jaw would never be the same after this, Anesu’s blow had left his whimpering and quivering while wallowing in the sand. He did not stop there, he grabbed him by the throat and lifted his scrawny little body until he was at eye level.

‘Where is it?’

The man showed his bloody teeth as he was trying to cough up a statement through his bewilderment.

‘I- I don’t know what you’re talking about, vakuru.’

The man did not see the second blow coming as much as he had seen the first. Anesu had an iron fist and his two companions hadn’t been aware this entire time. They just stood there with their jaws to the ground.

‘Please, vakuru, kutaura chokwadi handizivi kuti munorevei!’ the man cried, struggling to raise his arms in surrender.

‘Ane, I think he’s telling the truth,’ Batanai said when he saw him about to go in for a third time.

He stopped then he helped the man up.

‘Very well, thank this man for saving your worthless life. If I ever after this discover that you actually stole from us, or even suspect that you did, then you should say your final prayers to your gods.’

‘I didn’t steal from you I swear,’ the man said.

‘Then I’m going to kill that housemaster when I get my hands on him,’ Anesu said, further shocking his two advisors.

‘Take it easy, sir,’ Hamandishe said as Anesu stormed into the main hut.

A small boy was sitting at the far end just finishing up his bowl of porridge.

‘Good morning, sir,’ he said with a large grin on his face.

‘Where is your father, boy. You’re the housemaster’s son aren’t you?’ Anesu said, totally disregarding the greeting.

‘Y- yes I am, sir.’

‘You’re frightening the poor boy, Anesu,’ Batanai said.

Glossary.
Kutaura chokwadi, handizivi kuti munorevei – to tell you the truth, I really don't know what you're talking about.