3. Meet the Cliche Cast.

"Come on Y/N, let's go meet up with the others for lunch," Emi said, skipping through the halls alongside her generic friend. "Ichiro's going to be there," she teased, poking Y/N's cheek.

Y/N blushed as her friend mentioned the name of her crush. "Don't tease me Emi, just because I'm not as boy-crazy as you doesn't mean that I'm immune to catching feelings," Y/N pouted.

"Stop it, I'm not boy-crazy Y/N," Emi whined, flailing her hands around with their well-manicured nails glinting. She was going to continue her argument, but she stopped when the two girls passed a group of guys in the hall.

Emi's cheeks lit up and her pick eyes changed into hearts as she watched the boys, but she never the less gave them a wink. The boys all blushed back and gave Emi similar lovestruck looks to the one on her face.

Y/N let out a sigh. I wish I had the same beguiling charm that Emi has. Oh, if only I had the protagonist halo that anime girls have but alas, this is real life, not an anime.

Y/N let out a disappointed sigh as she reached the roof with Emi, the place where they would always have lunch with their other friends. It was a flat roof, without much of any railing that was probably a huge safety risk, but hey, it's just background scenery so it doesn't really matter if it's 'safe' or not, right?

"Yo, what took you two so long?" A girl with maroon hair pulled into a high ponytail called out to the new arrivals as she approached them. Her name was Homura Aki, and she radiated athleticism like a disease. On several occasions, Y/N had witnessed people drop to the ground to do pushups against their own free will after mistakenly walking too far into Homura's athletic aura. "No, wait, don't tell me, let me guess."

The tomboy stood still in thought for a moment before she said, "Emi was flirting with some guys on your way up, and generally acting like the protagonist's friend who will end up betraying her and spreading rumors about her halfway through the story."

"Yeah, pretty much," Y/N said with a laugh. "But that will never happen because this isn't one of those cheesy romance novels where the protagonist has terrible taste in friends. And even though I was late to school today, I had jam on my toast, so I obviously can't be an anime protagonist."

"Well you sure did keep us waiting a long time," Elliot Jenkins snapped, bitter at being forced to wait to eat his lunch. He had sandy hair and green eyes, he was also very tall. Most of the people attending Y/N's school had Japanese sounding names, even though no one used the proper honorifics, but Elliot had a western name for some strange reason. It was treated as though it was perfectly normal though, and never got any explanation.

"You're such a dummy, first you come to school late than you nearly miss lunch, how irresponsible can you be?"  Elliot continued to mock Y/N, puffing out his flushed cheeks in 'classic tsundere style'. "I bet you didn't remember to make a lunch, did you?"

"Oh, shoot, you're right," Y/N replied, scratching the back of her neck awkwardly as she realized that she had completely forgotten to pack a lunch. "I can't believe that I forgot to bring lunch. Could I be any more of a dumb generic anime girl, who generically forgets her generic lunch?"

"You may be a generic dumb anime girl, but luckily I'm not," Elliot said as he dug through his bag. After a minute he pulled out a generic black bento box and handed it to Y/N. "Ugh, you're such a dumb-dumb Y/N. I made this bento for you specifically because I have a crush on you but I'm too shy to admit it, so I tease you because I'm scared you'll tease me if you discover how I feel about you, so I am going to act like giving you this lunch is a real bother, dummy."

"Come on now, don't make Y/N feel bad," The final boy in their friend group jumped in. Y/N started to blush bright red at his intervention as she took the bento quietly. His name was Ichiro Sasaki, and with his jet black hair and warm brown eyes, it seemed obvious to Y/N why he was one of the most popular boys in school, especially among the girls.

"Y/N you can come sit next to me if you want," Ichiro offered, patting the spot next to him on the bench. "I have no interesting or redeeming qualities that would make me popular in school, but somehow I am, so I try to treat everyone as kindly as possible."

"Oh, o-ok," Y/N stammered, blushing with nervousness as she sat down next to her crush. She still held Elliot's bento box in her hands, and she decided to eat it because she had nothing else to eat.

Elliot was sitting a few paces away, sulking because, for a reason that was far beyond his tsundere compression, Y/N didn't want to eat lunch with him. He did feel smug when he saw that she was at least eating the lunch he made for her. It didn't help all that much when Homura punched his shoulder to try and cheer him up, but it was the thought that counted.

Homura kept Elliot company, and Y/N and Ichiro continued to flirt awkwardly for the rest of lunch. Emi rambled on about her latest boy-craze, but everyone knew better than to pay much attention to what she said.

While the five cliche teenagers ate lunch on the roof, a sixth person was watching the group from the shadows. More specifically, Oyama had his infatuated gaze locked out Y/N like a homing missile.

A/N

I hope you like our cliche cast. I did my best to make them cliche without being too irritating. Anyway, I'm happy to see that this book has thus far been well-received.

Until next time I'll see you on the other side

~J. C. Coltt.~