Chapter 34

Riley woke up feeling like shit. He knew he had screwed up with Melody. He could hear people out in the living room and kitchen and he guessed he was the last person awake. He threw on a shirt and walked out of his room. He was surprised to see his mom and Finn sitting at the breakfast bar. He gave his mom a hug and messed up Finn's hair.

“Guess what?!”

Riley started making a cup of coffee. 

“What bub?”

“Zoe said I could go swimming!”

He laughed watching him nearly bounce off the barstool in excitement. 

“That’s great bub. I wish I could join you but I don’t have long until I have to be at the field.” 

“Where’s Mel?” he asked.

Landon came out of the bathroom. 

“She was up and out early. She said she would see us at the game.”

“Oh okay.”

“Everything ok?” His mom asked.

“Yeah just hoping to catch her before she left.”

Riley spent an hour or so hanging out with Finn before packing up and leaving. He needed to get his head into the game. He would talk to Melody after the game. When he ran out on the field he looked up and found his mom, Landon, Finn sitting on Zoe’s lap, and Melody. She was wearing his jersey and he thought nothing looked sexy on her than his jersey. He turned back to the field as the game started. It was a good game. The other team was tough and wasn’t an easy victory. Riley loved the adrenaline rush of a close game and enjoyed the win a lot more. After the game he walked out to find Landon playing with Finn while my mom watched them. But he was confused to not see Melody and Zoe with them. He hadn’t seen her all day.

“Nice win Paxton!”

“Thanks, where’s Mel?”

“They went home to get ready for the party. They said congrats and see ya at home.”

Riley nodded. It made sense but he had a feeling Melody was avoiding him. He hugged his mom and walked them to their rental car before saying goodbye. Finn was already half asleep. He drove home with Landon talking about the game. He could tell he missed being out on the field and knew that would be him next year. When he got home there were already people at the house. He groaned, he wasn’t in the mood for a party. He just wanted to make things better with Melody. 

When he walked in he saw more people than he had expected. There was a group of guys in the kitchen talking and making drinks. He knew most of them from football and assumed Landon had invited them because he didn't invite anyone. There were a few girls he didn’t recognize walking around talking to the guys. He was glad to see the backyard and pool area were empty of people. His chest tightened when he found Melody in the living room. She was sitting with Zoe, her coworker Willow, her boss Patrick, and a few people he didn’t know. He didn’t know why but he didn’t like her boss. He downed some of his mix-drink. Melody looked up and smiled at him but he knew it wasn’t a true smile. Someone turned on some music and the party officially had begun. He watched as Willow and Zoe pulled Melody up off the couch and started dancing. He loved watching her dance. He looked over and saw Patrick was watching too. Fury and jealousy coursed through his veins. He noticed a few more people joined the dancing. But he froze when he saw Patrick stand up and walk towards Melody. He had a smirk on his face. The instant he got close enough to rest his hand on her back Riley snapped. He stormed over to him and punched him in the face.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?”

“RILEY!”

He watched Melody look at him with anger and shock as she checked on Patrick. He was still seeing red when he felt someone pull him away. He didn’t fight them, and let whoever it was take him out back. 

“What the hell was that man?”

Landon shut the back door and turned back to Riley. He didn’t reply.

“Did he do something to Mel? If so we can go back in there and kick the shit out of him. I didn’t see what happened before you hit him.”

Just then Melody came outside completely pissed off. 

“WHAT THE FUCK RILEY!?” 

Landon headed back inside. Riley wanted to roll his eyes at his retreating friend. When he looked at Melody she was fuming. Well that was fine with him because he was just as angry. 

“What do you think I'm just going to stand there and watch him put his hands on you?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Come on Mel I’ve seen the way he watches you. He wants what’s mine.”

“Wow, possessive much? And what if he did want to touch me...it’s not like you want to anymore.”

His anger grew. Did she really feel that way? And just like that his anger was gone. He slumped down on a lounge chair and put his head in his hands. 

"Well there is a party going on and I'm going back to my friends. I think it would be best if you didn’t join us."

He watched as she went back inside without another word. After his game and now this he would be exhausted but all Riley wanted was to go for a run. He walked through the house without saying a word and took off down the road.