21 | scarred beginnings

.

Chapter Twenty-One

.

I pull away from Zach in surprise. The heaviness in my chest hasn't settled down and my eyes are still teary. Is this like, a goodbye kiss?

His emerald green eyes don't have the usual shine in them. He is breathing heavily, like me. We continue to stare at each other's eyes, waiting for either of us to break the silence.

Not able to control myself any longer, I wrap my hands around his waist and push myself into him. Basking in the feeling, I shut my eyes tightly to not let my tears out when Zach's arms wrap around me.

His steady heartbeat helps me calm down a little but that heaviness in my chest doubles. My throat closes up and I swallow a sob.

I pull back after a while. I don't look into his eyes this time because of the fear of breaking down.

"Bye, Zach." I smile, looking anywhere but at him.

"Ella." Zach groans softly.

"Thank you for everything," I smile at him kindly before leaving a last kiss in his cheek and turning around. With a sigh, I open the door and slide inside the car.

I wave at Zach when the car starts to move but he remains standing there with jaws clenched and face hard. If he really wanted me to not go, he'd ask, right?

A lone tear runs down my cheek and I hastily wipe it before looking outside, thinking about better things- like my freedom.

However, Kyle's phone buzzes loudly when we're a mile away from Zach's house and he pulls to the side. He turns around to apologise and answers the phone.

"Yes sir? wha- okay sir..," he mumbles into his phone. He looks at me briefly through the display mirror before starting the engine and taking a u-turn.

"Um... Kyle? Wh-where are we going?"

I don't realize that it is the first time I've spoken to someone other than Zach.

Kyle looks at me and mumbles a 'sorry, Mrs Kane' and gets back to driving. I just hope this isn't like one of those movies where the driver is paid by the main lead's enemy to kidnap his loved one so that he can get back at him.

Yeah, right. This wasn't some movie or book.

My anxiety turns into confusion and then into realization when we enter familiar gates. To an outsider, this must seem comical, I left with tears not too long ago.

Zach is nowhere to be seen when Kyle pulls the car to the side.

"Sorry again, Mrs Kane. Mr Kane's orders."

With that, Kyle gets out of his car and opens my door. I get outside and Kyle carries my suitcase and sets it beside me. I smile at him in gratitude and he gets inside the car, probably waiting for Zach to take him to his office.