Chapter One

Nicole's POV

"Girl, whether you like it or not, we'll be going out later during the day." Clara said, standing in the doorway leading to my room.

"Do I have to go?" I asked, not wanting to leave my bed.

"Yes. You need to let go of the past and live your life. I hate it when you're in this state." Clara said, joining me on my bed.

Though it's been months I broke up with Kenneth, I can't move on. He's been a toxic in my life and even tho it's good riddance, I still feel that void in my heart.

"Please come with me." she said, her emerald eyes pleading with me to agree. I decided to give in and put myself together. He's probably enjoying his life elsewhere whilst I'm wallowing in pity.

" Where're we going?" I asked. She hugged me, thanking me for agreeing to go out.

"We're going to the ice cream shop. We'll have a little chat over a bowl of ice cream. We'd leave at 6pm" she said. I nodded and smiled.  When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade out of them.

Since it's morning and there's a lot of time to go about things before the outing, Clara and I decided to go to our studio. We're both artists and we paint and craft a lot of images, portraits and arts.

Clara left to get things done in her room, so I decided to rearrange my room and give it a different look. Clara came back a few minutes later and gave me a hand. After few hours, we were done.

"So what are you going to do with these painting of his?" Clara asked.

I stared at them for a while, and replied with a smile. "What I should have done a long time ago, burn them."

She hugged me and said, "I'm glad you're moving on".

We freshened up and decided to head to the studio. We stepped out and I'm glad I decided to take my best friend's advice. With the paintings in the back seat. We drove off, sitting to the music playing in the car and jamming to it.

We started a conversation a few minutes into the journey. "I forgot to tell you, you've been receiving anonymous letters since you decided to stay a home".

"I wonder who would care enough about me to send letters and be anonymous." I said.

"Don't ever say that, Nicole," she said. "There are a lot of people who know your worth and would do anything to make you happy, and want you by their side," she continued.

"But...," I began but she cut me off. "No buts, forget about that loser, and trust me you'd get one handsome Greek God who'd love you and would never leave your side."

"I wasn't planning on getting into a relationship for now." I said. I'm not sure I've healed fully for another one, in case it doesn't go as planned.

"Yeah, but if the right one comes around, you would be amazed." she replied. I just sighed, hoping it would be as she says.

After a new minutes, we arrived at the studio, we picked up the paintings and went inside. I gathered other paintings of him whilst Clara lighted up the fireplace. I threw the papers into the flames, and watched as it burned to ashes.

"It's going to be hard," I said. "Don't worry I'd also be here for you," she said. Let me get the letters for you," she said.

"I guess I'd read them at home." I said as she handed them to me. "Let's get the place tidy and neat." Clara said, as she wore her apron and handed mine to me. We needed to speed up cause we'd have to head back home after an hour or two.

We finished up after and hour, since we only needed to get rid of the used papers, old paint brushes and other stuffs. We replaced them with the ones we had bought.

"That's more like it." we said in unison, and then laughed. The fire had died down. We hanged our aprons on the hanger, locked the placed and left. We decided to pass by the shop to restock the rest of the supplies we'd be using the following week.  The day has been good so far, and I'm enjoying it. After paying and packing everything into the car, we headed back to the studio arranged everything and went home.

Blasting music in the car was one thing I missed after staying home and crying over him. We got home at 5:30pm and then got to our rooms to get ready for our night out.

It's 6pm now. Clara and I were ready to head to the ice cream shop. We wore a turquoise fitted crop top and a pair of black baggy jeans with matching turquoise and black sneakers. We're both not fans of make up or fancy things so we decided to go with our natural beauty.  Clara decided to rock her curly hair whilst I rocked my afro hair. 

We stepped out of our apartment and decided to walk to the place and chill. The sky was filled with many twinkling stars. The night breeze was cool and it was buzzing with people. We met a few neighbours and friends, with some of them wondering where I went to hide. I just told them I was around and now they'd be seeing me often.

"I'm glad you convinced me to leave my room," I said, hugging Clara.

"Awww, I want to cry. I feel honoured and trust me you'd love it." She said, wiping away a fake.

What would I have done without Clara by my side.

" I'm kind of scared of opening those anonymous letters."

"Why? " she asked.

" What if it's a stalker or someone who wants to harm me?" I said, sighing.

" Nicole, as I told you earlier, apart from Kenneth, one guy would see your worth and would never let you go. And if it's a stalker, maybe we're getting an admirer from afar." she said.

I took a deep breath and hoped for the best. I'm not going to let one bad chapter ruin my life.