The tale of a melancholy girl

"I talk to you as to a friend.
I hope that's what you've come to be.
It feels as though we've made amends,
Like we found a way eventually.

It was you who picked the pieces up
When I was a broken soul.
And then glued me back together.
Returned to me what others stole."

Song: Sway - The Perishers

++++++

At 6pm sharp, Harry was standing in her mother's foyer, waiting to bring the two of them to therapy

At 6pm sharp, Harry was standing in her mother's foyer, waiting to bring the two of them to therapy. He looked so handsome, his long hair cascading down, his curls spiraling against his shoulders. And somehow, even after all these years, he still continued to swipe his hair to the right like when they were kids. It was like it was a habit ingrained in his brain forever.

He was wearing tan Chelsea boots, black skinny jeans and a white t-shirt underneath a black leather jacket. He was so attractive, Emma could hardly keep her eyes off of him. When she came down the steps, Harry was chatting with her mother, who was telling him a story about how just two years ago, when re-doing the roof, her late-husband, Emma's father, found the frisbee Harry managed to throw onto it back when they were fifteen. Harry's deep laugh echoed through her ears and it caused goosebumps on her skin.

"Emmy, hey," Harry said, focusing on her once he realized she was there.

His smile fell immediately and it was replaced with a look of fondness mixed with a bit of concern as he scanned her face. He always seemed to look at her like that these days - the concern, the worry, the pain. It was as if he was trying to find ways to protect her from herself, from her grief.

"Are you ready?" Harry asked, letting a small smile turn up his lips.

"Um, yeah. I think so," she said, blowing out a breath as she reached for her coat from the hook by the door. She quickly put it on, buttoning it up before she grabbed her purse.

"Goodbye, my beautiful girl," Emma said, leaning over to kiss Maddie, who was in her grandmother's arms.

Maddie let out a happy shriek and tried to grab at Emma's face. The three of them laughed and Emma cooed at Maddie before kissing her again.

"She loves you," Harry pointed out.

"She definitely does," her mother agreed.

Madeline's attention fell to Harry after he spoke, staring at him for a few moments before she held out her arms for him.

"Oh my god," Emma breathed, looking at her daughter wide-eyed. She was in complete and utter shock as her heart beat heavily and happily in her chest.

"Well, hello, little love," Harry cooed as he gently grabbed the baby out of her grandmother's arms.

Madeline reached up, putting her hands on Harry's face and he babbled at her, his mouth moving her hands as he did. She let out another happy screech, causing them all to laugh again.