18

Rachel drove into Simon's Used Car lot with Blake in the passenger seat dressed in his salesman attire, jacket and tie. They noticed a gleaming, pearl-white Cadillac parked next to the office building.

She lowered her sunglasses. "Do you recognize that car?"

"Nope."

James stood outside the office, smoking a cigarette. He waved to Rachel. She wiggled her fingers in response then leaned across the seat and kissed Blake.

He got out of the car, watched her turn the car around, and drive away.

James shook his head, smoke drifting from his nostrils.

"What?" Blake asked as he approached.

"You got a woman like that and you're dragging your sorry ass around?" James inhaled then flicked his cigarette butt. "That girl would put a permanent smile on my face, that's for damn sure."

Blake grinned.

"Heard about the break-in last night?" James asked.

Blake raised his brows. "Here?"

"Nah, down the garage. Can't nobody get a hold of McQuaid."

"Wow. What's Damon say about it?"

"You didn't know about that, either? Your boy was in a bad accident. Real bad."

The color drained from Blake's face. He heard voices emanating from the back room of the office. Before he could inquire, an enormous brute bulled his way down the hallway, looking like a UFC fighter, a tattooed refrigerator with legs. A blocky, buzzcut head sprouted between broad shoulders. He studied Blake with narrow, pitbull eyes.

James retreated a step and leaned against the window.

Uncle Geo shuffled from the back room into the office, his arm around a wispy middle-aged man with an eminently forgettable face.

"Kalispara." Geo waved Blake into the office and then offered his hand. "George Milionis."

Blake straightened his tie. "Blake Gannon."

The man at seventy years old looked like he wouldn't back down from wrestling a bear and the smart money wouldn't be on the bear.

"This is Doolie." Geo patted his shoulder. "He's gonna be running the shop for the time being." The guy said nothing. He barely blinked.

Blake shook Doolie's hand. "Until McQuaid comes back?"

The old man shrugged.

Blake's eyes shifted to the beast standing behind Geo, arms crossed over his broad chest. With him taking up so much space in the room, the ceiling seemed lower.

"Oh, this is Alex," said Geo.

"How ya doin'?" Blake asked. He received only a steely gaze.

"We're going down to the shop to get Doolie situated," the old man said. "You fellas gonna be okay up here?" His subtle smile set off a warning bell in the back of Blake's brain.

"Yes, sir," James replied politely.

Doolie and Uncle Geo exited, approaching the Cadillac. Alex eyeballed Blake, then followed the men to the car. The scowling ape looked like he'd spent his whole life being mean, convinced that smiling was a sign of weakness.

"Who the hell was that?" Blake whispered.

"Ever hear of the Milionis family?" James replied. "The Greeks?"

Blake shook his head.

"People you do not wanna fuck with. Somebody's headed for the slab."

########