30

Parked across the street from a four-star hotel, Harley's beaten-down old Chevy idled in the evening rain. While awaiting instructions, he listened to the hiss of tires from passing cars on the wet pavement and the SLAP-SLAP of his windshield wipers.

"Give a tug on this sleeve," Ashley said.

Harley's brow furrowed.

"Harley! Rip my shirt a bit."

He ground the chewing gum between his molars, the way he always did when he struggled to figure something out.

"You hear me?" She raised her voice.

He pulled and tugged again until the seam split. "That what you wanted?"

"I'll meet you 'round back. Don't you leave me waiting on you." She pushed open the car door.

"You're gonna get yourself soakin' wet, baby girl."

She gritted her teeth. "That's the damn point." She jumped out of the car, slamming the door. She worked herself up while she ran through the rain toward the hotel, hopping onto the sidewalk over a roiling stream of water rushing along the curb.

Three businessmen were seated in the foyer, enjoying their cocktails when Ashley burst through the front door, sobbing loudly, a dripping mess.

"I hate him! I hate his guts!" She drew a mix of curious and dismissive glances. One of the men set down his drink and rose from his chair.

A doorman the size of a tractor interceded. "Miss, unless you are a guest at this hotel--"

The businessman cut him off. "It's okay. Can we get the young lady a towel?" He wore a tailored suit with the creases in his pants almost as razor-sharp as the part in his hair.

"Yes, Mister Wertham."

"My boyfriend," she sobbed uncontrollably. My ex-boyfriend is such a... threw me out of his car in this storm. Just like that." She pretended to notice the rip in her sleeve then crossed her arms over her chest, embarrassed by her revealing rain-soaked shirt.

"He's hurt you," said Wertham. "We should call the police."

"No. No, don't do that. I just need to dry off, is all." She shivered, standing in a widening puddle on the marble floor. She dropped her head, wet hair falling over her face.

Wertham removed his suit jacket then draped it over her shoulders, the smell of cologne on his lapel along for the ride.

"Your nice jacket. I don't wanna mess it all up."

"Don't worry about the jacket."

The doorman returned with a towel. Ashley wiped her face, bawling into the terrycloth.

Wertham gently patted her narrow back. "Oh, come on now. You're going to be fine."

"I hate his stinkin' guts! I do. I never ever wanna see him ever again!"

"How about a nice cup of coffee? Or a hot cocoa to take the chill off?"

"I look like a complete fool standing here shivering and dripping with folks gawkin' at me."

"No one's gawking."

"I must look a sight." She turned her red eyes to the doorman. "Is there a ladies' room where I might freshen up?"

"Yes, ma'am. Right down the hallway there past the elevators."

She touched Wertham's arm. "You're so awful kind." She pulled the jacket tightly around her, trotting down the hallway toward the ladies' room.