Daughter of the Eagle Queen (Merida X Female!Reader)

My mother is known as 'The Eagle Queen of West Fowler' (West because her sister-in-law, my aunt, is the Falcon Queen of East Fowler). How did they get these titles, might you ask? Because they can tame birds of prey. It's not as if they taught each other, either; they both simply... knew, which is intriguing because they're only related by marriage. As a result, I have a pet falcon, who I've named 'Sky', quite simply because I had no other ideas. This is the story of how a visit to DunBroch led me to fall in love with the Bear King's daughter.

~

"Wake up!" An urgent voice called one morning.

"I'm up!" I replied, just as urgently. I turned over in my bed to see my mother's face. Her hair was braided neatly, without a hair out of place. Her bright eyes were widened. It took me a moment to remember; we were supposed to be visiting another kingdom today. "Oh!" I exclaimed. "I won't be-"

"We won't wait for you, ____." Her word was stern; she left the room and closed the wooden door with a creak. I pulled the thick covers from my bed and got out with a yawn and a stretch. Walking over to the wardrobe, I glanced out the glass window to the castle grounds: the sky was a deep blue, barely a cloud in sight. A herd of horses were being brought into the courtyard, all of them with sporting our West Fowler saddle blankets. I plucked my best dress from my wardrobe - as advised to previously by my mother - and inspected it.

 I plucked my best dress from my wardrobe - as advised to previously by my mother - and inspected it

The image above is not 100% accurate to the description below: it is merely a base for imagination.

The material was thick, perfect for Winter and the colour was a gentle teal, like the freshwater lakes we Fowlers visit every Summer. The West Fowler sigil was embroidered on the front of the dress and several crow feathers were attached to the hem of the long sleeves and flowing from the base of the dress itself. After I had fed Sky, washed myself and put on the dress, I had a small breakfast with my family and siblings - not wanting to be late in visiting a neighbouring kingdom. No; not East Fowler... DunBroch. "You are to meet the Bear King," my father declared to us, "and perhaps you may find yourself in love with his daughter," he added, looking only at my brother, who yawned and scratched his chin, completely oblivious. I kicked him under the table and cleared my throat when he looked at me.

"Pardon, father?" He asked.

"The daughter of the Bear King; Merida. Perhaps she will be to your liking?"

"Well, it is not up to me, father." My brother said, amused, although I was sure he couldn't comprehend the subtext of our father's suggestion over the cutlery clinking loudly against our metal plates, or perhaps it was his fatigue: an issue he'd been told time and time again to overcome. My father sighed, before my mother hushed him, and began to speak herself:

"It's been a year since Lords Dingwal, Macintosh and MacGuffin visited DunBroch to offer their sons' hands to the princess. Perchance she has matured and changed her mind when it comes to marriage- now, don't give me that look. I know you are young, but securing a wife - and therefore another heir for the throne, as you are our eldest son - would be perfect to ensure our kingdom that the West Fowler bloodline will continue on without any trouble, nor fear of interference from the East side." She said the last part bitterly.