28. Hanging Up the Life, Suit, and Shield

Mostly everyone had departed not long after Tony's service

 Mostly everyone had departed not long after Tony's service. The core group of Avengers and a few remained longer. Those I had only become acquainted with made their early exits.

Though everything was over, the Stones we had plucked from time needed to be returned. Steve volunteered himself to be the one to do it. I left Grace inside with Morgan and Happy, she wouldn't understand what she would be watching anyhow.

The transporter was modified for outside travel. Bruce was finishing the setup while Steve switched into the Quantum Suit. All Stones removed out of time were already packaged in a suitcase ready to be returned to their respective moments in time.

Sam and Bucky waited outside with me. A lot of talk hadn't really been said since they had been back, you know, since we had to fight for our lives, our future, and we had to say goodbye to a good friend within such a short time span.

"You and Cap really made your own future," said Sam amusedly. "Too bad I missed out on the early years."

"Don't worry, you can be part of Gracie's life whenever you so choose," I said. "Same invitation goes to you, Bucky."

"Is she anything like her dad?" asked Steve's oldest friend.

"Er, she's an even mix of us both."

"So she's a ball of trouble, then," said Sam, chuckling.

I smiled. "Not yet, anyhow. Give it time."

"Can she... you know?" asked Bucky, making waggling gestures with his fingers.

"Not that we've seen. Trust me, we've wondered from the day she was born."

"Well, how was it with you?" asked Sam.

I shrugged. "My parents weren't gifted. I'm not sure what triggered my powers, but they didn't surface right away. We just hope that when hers do—if they do—they won't come at a bad time. We want to be able to help her through it the first time she discovers them."

"Never thought I'd hear powers be talked about so casually," muttered Bucky.

"Welcome to two-thousand and twenty-three." I chuckled. "Just a fair warning to you both: if Gracie imprints on you, that's it. You're stuck being an uncle or whatever title she gives you."

"Hey, I'll just make sure to be the better uncle," said Sam. Bucky rolled his eyes.

When Steve finally came out, Quantum Suit and all, he waited patiently on the platform while the rest of us hung back. Thor's old hammer was with him as well, another token taken out of time. A shame it had to go back, I was growing to like Steve with a weapon other than his shield.

"Don't you dare be late," I called to my husband teasingly.

"Ready, Cap?" asked Bruce from his control center. My husband gave a nod. "Alright. We'll meet you back here, okay?"