𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

1922
watery lane, Birmingham

"BILLIE JUNIPER WILLIAMSON, OTHER ALIASES CLASSIFIED ... as of 1920 age 29 ... born in Madrid Spain, migrated to Birmingham age 6 ... a negro, 175cm in height, weight unknown." Tommy thumbed the page as he turned it over.

"skills include, excellent at hand to hand combat trained in various forms of martial arts, proficient in various types of weaponry, thievery, forgery .... However in summary, if one were to come across Miss Williamson I would suggest avoiding to do so, but if you are unfortunate to catch her eye, I suggest sleeping with one eye open, as she is dangerous in every way possible."

Tommy leaned back from his desk as he massaged his head trying to keep the nagging thoughts at bay. His phone rang loudly from down the hall. Begrudgingly he stood up sluggish in his movements as the chains of sleep slowed his movements, but nonetheless he answered the phone.

He held it up to his ears, there was a brief silence, before a voice filtered through. "You know if you wanted to know about me you could've asked ... I don't bite .. well I do but that's besides the point."

Tommy felt his breath hitch in his throat. How the fuck did she find out?"

"You're probably wondering how I found out ... well you see when anyone asks for my file I get a call .... and to my surprise this afternoon Mr Shelby your name was mentioned ... however you seemed to have gotten the watered down version." Tommy could tell she was finding this amusing, his fists clenched tighter around the handle of his phone as if trying to substitute it for her neck.

Billie continued. "I suggest if you want to know who I truly am go to The National Archives a box will be waiting there for you."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"... well it felt unfair, seeing that I know every little fact about you, and you know none about me." And before Tommy could ask another question the call ended.

———

In the morning Tommy had driven to Kew, were the national archives were held, and true to her word there was something waiting for him. 7 boxes in total. All barred with various locks. The look that the woman had given him had unnerved him but he didn't show.

He had returned to watery lane and emptied out the betting den, only allowing family members. And besides the disgruntled notices he received they did as he asked.

His family either stood or sat looking at him. He cleared his throat. "John, Arthur I need you to help me take some boxes out the car,"

John and Arthur though confused did as he asked. Polly and Ada looked at him as if waiting for more, but when they realised he wasn't going to talk more Polly spoke."What's this all about?"

Tommy looked at his aunt and released a long held sigh. "... Billie."

"Oh my Lord" Polly groaned.

"I found her file yesterday ... she found out that I took it from the archive ... and gave me the rest to make things fair,"

"What do you mean by fair?"

"Well she implied she knew everything about me and the family and in all honesty I'm not doubting her."

"So what you got Arthur and John getting." Ada asked.

"Her bloody files ... 7 boxes of 'em."

John and Arthur barged themselves back into the betting den, the boxes obstructing their faces. They placed them on the large mahogany table that stood proudly in the middle of the betting den. The boxes were heavy Tommy knew that seeing as he was the one who had placed the boxes in his car.