Chapter 54: Surprises

Falling Apart, Barely Breathing

In Which Addison meets Meredith in a bar. Things spiral from there.

Chapter 54: Surprises

Few things make Mondays extremely fun, but some of them certainly help more than others.

It helps a lot, for example, when Meredith finally gets her locker repaired and discovers a final 'mystery person,' note that Addison must have written her before she had confessed and before they had been officially dating.

"Awe, that is so sweet," Meredith thinks to herself, as she holds it close to her chest. "I'll just have to make her one, also!" Meredith smiles.

She gets to work, taking some spare paper and working on the chart on her lap to make Addison a good morning card.

"Grey, are you ready for rounds?" Miranda Bailey emerges.

"Of course," says Meredith, as she tucks the card into her pocket, and opens the chart to the page that she needs.

"Hey, you've got to be focused! We ain't got no time for you to be writing love letters during work hours!" Bailey teases, and Meredith blushes profusely at being caught.

"Now I was just joking, but from the look on your face- Grey, go to the pit and find something to stitch up," Bailey says mock-exasperatedly.

"Yes, Bailey," Meredith says sheepishly, as she heads off, hearing the whole time as Dr. Bailey is muttering to herself "interns these days..."

As Meredith starts suturing patients, she's a little bit shocked when she sees the name on the chart of her next one.

"Archer Montgomery?" Meredith calls out to the waiting room.

"Over here," says the tall (but not as tall as Addison), man, who greets Meredith with a smile.

"Are you..." Meredith starts to ask if he's at all related to her Addison Montgomery, when she eventually chickens out and just asks him what brings him here in the first place.

"I'm wondering if you happen to know a neurosurgeon," Archer sighs.

"Sure..." Meredith says, as she searches for Derek's number on her pager.

Meredith isn't incredibly eager to be paging her ex-boyfriend (and her current girlfriend's ex-husband), down to the pit right now, but she supposes they've decided to be civil, and that there really is no arguing that Derek happens to be one of the best neurosurgeons in the entire country.

"You paged?" Derek asks Meredith when he finally arrives, all dressed up as he usually is, without a trace of the wilderness in his hair from their weekend out camping.

"Yeah, a patient asked for you," Meredith motions.

"Oh, hello Archer," Derek says awkwardly, as he shakes his ex-brother-in-law's hand firmly.

"Derek," says Archer. "Now, have you seen my sister?" He asks him.

Meredith watches the scene play out with intrigue, as she realizes that since they'd been married so long it's no wonder that Derek had met Addison's brother before she had.

"Oh, no I have no idea where she is, Meredith do you know?" Derek asks her, and that snaps Meredith out of her train of thought.

"She's in surgery all morning," Meredith recites easily.

"Well alright then," says Derek. "Did you want to catch up and have a drink or...?" Derek asks Archer.

"That would be great, I'd love to catch up Derek, but I'm also here with some other questions for you," Archer says seriously.