Chapter 7

(Billy's POV)
I really hoped Twyla would be at school today. I texted her about a million times, but she hasn't answered. I was really worried about her.
I was getting my Geometry books out of my locker when I saw Twyla walking down the hallway. I almost called out to her, but stopped. She looked like she was kind of limping, and she had a few bruises. I ran over to her. "Twyla! Are you okay? What happened?"

(Twyla POV)
"What happened?" Billy asked. oh no. I was not telling him what really happened. "Umm....i.. fell off my..bike. Yesterday. yep." Billy still looked worried. "um...well I hope you're okay. I'm glad you're back."
I felt so guilty lying to him. I didn't want him to see me cry, so I pushed past him and ran to the bathroom.
I didn't see Billy until lunch. I avoided sitting in the creepateria with everyone else, so I sat outside on a bench by myself. I wasn't even hungry. I was tearing up again when I saw Billy running towards me. he sat down beside me. "Twyla, I don't know what happened, but if it was my fault I'm so sorry." He held my hand. "It-it wasn't you." I started to cry a little. Billy put his arm around me. "Well whatever happened, you can tell me, I'm here for you okay?" I started crying harder and Billy pulled me into a hug. "Does it have anything to do with the bruises?.." He said softly. I stopped crying so loudly. "Yes...my dad was really mad the other night....and-an...." I couldn't finish because I was crying to hard. "Oh twyla....im so sorry. It's okay, I won't let him do it again. I'm here for you." "th-thank you."
I put my head on his shoulder.
He said it softly, but I could hear him.

The three words. "I love you."