Chapter X

She really couldn't help herself. What sane person wouldn't start screaming the second they hopped onto a Shinigami's back and started flying? She clung onto Ryuk's neck for dear life, her legs wrapped around his middle while his wings flapped them higher and higher until they'd reached a thick level of fluffy clouds with the dark sky above them. There, the wings stopped flapping, and she found herself gliding through the air, her hair being pulled back by the gentle breeze. She realized how harshly she was squeezing Ryuk, and quickly loosened her grip to a point that she was still comfortable she wouldn't be able to accidentally let go.

"I'm sorry," she murmured in his ear. It was actually very beautiful, now that she took a good look around her. Below the white, she could see all sorts of lights from the city flickering through, as if they were mirroring the stars above.

"I can take it. I just wasn't expecting you to scream, is all," Ryuk replied gently, "I thought you wanted to fly?"

"Y-Yes, I did. It's just... a lot scarier than it looks. I don't have wings, so rationally if I let go I would definitely not survive. I think even L could confirm that with percentages and a graph."

"Rationally I would catch you. I'm heavier, I fall faster than you. You would be saved before you could say 'Shinigami'."

She chuckled, "Rationally I wouldn't count on that. Maybe I don't trust you. Rationally."

He turned his head slightly, but she was still unable to see his facial expression from her position on his back. However, it became rather apparent through the sad note in his voice when he spoke. "You don't trust me?"

She quickly shook her head, "No, I'm sorry Ryuk, that's not what I meant. I mean that I should rationally not count on you catching me if I fall. I made the decision to hop on your back, thus it is my responsibility to take responsibility for my actions and face the consequences. If I fall, it would be my mistake."

"Even if it were, I'd still catch you. I'd always catch you."

She felt a sense of ease wash over her, along with a tingle in her stomach, but she wasn't quite sure what that meant. She smiled, resting her head on his shoulder, and breathing in a waft of fresh air that dragged along a hint of Light's cologne. "How come you're never this nice to Light?"

Ryuk chuckled dryly. "Because he's not you."

He felt a blush coat his cheeks when he felt her hands running along the feathers of his wings in a slow, gentle manner. She kept doing this until they'd landed, and then proceeded to latch onto his hand after they'd landed in the back of an alleyway.

Even if you do not actually possess the Death Note, the effect will be the same if you recognize the person and his/her name to place in the blank.

Ryuk was in love. There, he could finally say it. He'd been on a date and now he could say he was in love. He was slightly hunched over so the girl could hold his hand without people noticing at her side, but not for one second did he feel an ache in his back. All he could think about was the way she'd clung onto him, how she'd touched him, how sweet she'd sounded muttering nothings in his ear while she stroked his feathers. Affection wasn't something that came naturally to him, Shinigami's never really deemed such thing necessary. Yet with her, he seemed to want to keep her hand in his forever.

Unfortunately, fate seemed to have other plans for him, because she was the one who dropped it like a ton of bricks, along with his heart. Then he noticed the reason for her sudden shift, and it was standing in front of Light's house. She lightly tugged on the chain that was stuck to the other death note he was carrying and kept her fingers wound tightly around it, but he didn't mind. If she wanted to take his Death Note, she could go right ahead and do it. That's how happy he was.