Chapter VI

"I didn't think the ceremony would be so interesting..." Ryuk hummed. Light remained silent as they walked through the school's doors. His eyes were focused elsewhere, to a figure quite an ends away from him. He knew it would be useless to run after her, as he recalled how relentless her step was when she got mad, plus he would draw too much attention to himself. Attention was not something he needed these days.

He froze as he suddenly noticed a familiar voice call out his name. "You hear that? I think it's your new friend," the God of death chuckled.

Hideki – though Light was positive that wasn't his real name – had informed him of his true identity during the ceremony, after (Y/N) had left. He was L. At least, that's what he told Light. He could have an endless debate with himself if this was a ruse or not, thus he tried to stick to the facts he currently had and weighed his options.

"Uh, nice meeting you." He looked like the Hunchback of the Notre Dame, with the way he was standing. Light had the urge to push him, just to straighten his spine. His own back hurt just by looking at it. "No, the pleasure was mine," he lied instead. L nodded and walked off.

"What an amazing car!" "A limousine?" bystanders commented, as the door of the vehicle was opened. "Well, I'm sure I'll see you on campus," L said. "Yeah, take care..." Light replied, quite flabbergasted.

"That kid must come from some serious money." "Plus he's at the top of the class? Where's the justice..."

'Yeah, where is the justice...' Light thought to himself.

He watched the car drive off with a nasty feeling in his gut.

You had put at least a few feet between yourself and the campus. You were safe, except from the hard gaze you still felt drilling into your back. And apparently from vehicles that go faster than yourself.

A fancy car stopped beside the curb of the school's yard, right where you were walking. You took a hesitant step back, the immediate thought of someone dragging you in and kidnapping you crossing your mind. The door opened and Hideki stepped out.

"Hi," he greeted rather nonchalantly. "Uh- Hi," you responded. He took a small box out of his back pocket and held it out to you. "I had a piece of cake left, but I don't think I can finish it. I was wondering if you'd like to have it, as I wouldn't want it to go to waste."

You stare at the small box with suspicion. "I presume that hasn't been in your back pocket for the entire ceremony?"

A corner of his mouth quirks up in amusement. 'Oh, she's smart,' he noted gleefully. "Observative. No, I left it in the car. It's not poisoned, I promise."

"And I'm supposed to believe your word? When I just met you?"

"I suppose you're right. I'll tell you my secret then, if it means I will gain your trust."

"Your secret? What's that?"

"I'm L."

You nearly choke on your own saliva and your eyes widen in apparent shock. Unlike Light, you weren't someone to fall into the acting part naturally. It took you a lot of energy and gave you a lot of stress, so you usually tried to avoid it. Light, on the other hand, had always attempted to fool people as much as he could without them noticing, merely to excel in the ability to act and lie, if he ever needed it. You understood at the time, as he used to dream about becoming a cop just like his father.

"That's... interesting," you finally mustered.

"Interesting?" L questioned, "I presume you're not a fan of mine, then." Is that why she and Light aren't talking? Because their opinions differ on the Kira case? He wondered.

"N-No... Well, I don't really know if I'm being honest. I can't say I don't understand both parties involved in this. The massacres, it's horrible... yet I can't help but think that it might make a positive impact on the world."

He stared at you for a while, long enough to make you uncomfortable. Then suddenly, he smiled. He couldn't remember the last time that had happened.

"Good," he said.

"Good?" you questioned in confusion.

"Will you join me in solving this case?"

"Solving it? But I just told you- Hang on, what if I'm Kira? How could you trust me?"

"I don't know if you're Kira. There's a 91% chance that you are. But if you're not, and if what you just told me is true, then you're in the middle. You haven't picked a side yet, meaning you're able to see them both as they are, without a tunnel vision. I know you're a very smart girl, (Y/N). I could really use you on my team."

You take a deep breath, too many thoughts racing through your mind. "I-"

"That is, if you don't mind working with Light."

Light? What has that idiot gotten himself into?!

L continued, "I haven't officially asked him yet, but I presume he'll join the cause, seeing as he just gave me a speech about how he'd do anything to stop Kira during the ceremony. It's unfortunate you missed it. I think you would've found it quite amusing."

"Is it alright if I think about it for a while?" you ponder.

"Of course. You have 24 hours. Meet me at the café down the street tomorrow," he replied.

You nod, turning your eyes to your hands, which have been fumbling with the box since this whole topic started.

"If it makes any difference, I promise you'll get as much cake as you want if you join the team."

You burst out laughing, your nerves probably making things funnier than they really were.

"What's so funny?" L wondered out loud before he could stop himself.

"Wasn't that an attempt at a joke?" you questioned, "It seemed as though you intended to lighten the mood."

"Oh, yeah, I kind of did. Though people usually don't laugh when I try. It's why I don't have friends."

You smiled, "I'm sure we could be friends, eventually."

You didn't think it was possible for his eyes to get bigger, but they did. "Great," was all he could muster, before he turned around and strode back to the car. Before he got in, his head turned slightly, yet his gaze did not meet yours. "Aren't you coming?"

Your brows furrowed in confusion.

"I'm giving you a ride home."

"I suppose I don't have to tell you where I live, do I?"

"No."

You let out an airy chuckle as you climb into the vehicle while L gallantly held the door open for you.

Light's hand balled up into a fist, his furious gaze watching the limousine drive off.