IX. Can I Trust You?

act one: finding everything and nothing

▌chapter nine . . .
can i trust you?

"Where is it?" Sky asks.

"I don't know. Stay close." Magnolia says.

The Burned One appeared on her side. "Mags? Magnolia!"

She conjures her electrical power and zaps it but The Burned One runs past it. Sky grabs her and puts her behind him. The Burned One dissolved. "How many of these training dummies do we have to fight?"

"As many as it takes to actually beat one?"

She looks at Sky "Oh shit, you're bleeding."

"Fuck. I am. It is bad?"

"Here." She says burning it a little "Better?"

"Yeah. Thanks."

"I just wish they'd tell us how to fight these things. We've aced every exercise but this one."

Sky sighs. "Last years was nothing like this. It's like they've gone full war games, remember?"

"Yeah." She chuckle. "And well, I mean, Beatrix is evil and there are still Burned Ones out there. And they were soldiers before they were teachers, so I guess it's very on-brand for Alfea faculty."

Sky chuckled and Professor Harvey came out. "Professor Harvey? Can we at least get a hint?" Sky asked.

"Every failure brings you one step closer to success."

"Very good lesson, Professor, as usual." Lia says.

"Just be patient. Look, your kind of magic is effective if used properly. Try freezing it or duplicating yourself."

"I've actually never tried that." Lia says.

"That's because you didn't know you had it." Professor Harvey walks away but comes back. "Oh, and inside each Burned One is a magical core called a cinder, and with time and finesse, you can use your magic to destroy it. But they key... is mutual trust. You." Professor Harvey says pointing to Magnolia. "Must trust your Specialist to hold it back while you channel controlled magic, and you." He said pointing to Sky. "Must trust your fairy to get the job done."

Professor Harvey finally walks away. "So I guess that's the big question then. Can I trust you?" Magnolia says walking away.

"Kinda wanna ask you the same thing." Sky says catching up. "Who was that girl? "A good lesson, Professor, as usual."" Sky said mocking her.

"Ever since my trip with Beatrix, they've been watching Bloom and I like hawks. I have to make sure they don't think I'm one of her evil henchmen." She says smiling as Dowling, Silva, Aisha, and Musa walk past her and Sky. "Even though I know they're abusing Musa's magic to get into my head."