Chapter 4

I gestured for the kid to follow as I went up to the upstairs. I was probably too comfortable up here for a worker. . .

"Do you want some tea? Or coffee." I confirmed with the kid, leading him to the living room.

"Uh- sure, thank you. Vincent" he nodded stiffly, looking around the room like a child in a room filled with shiny objects. Which it was.

"Mh, I'm going to sleep again for a second okay? You both help yourselves to absolutely whatever." Aldie gave a drowsy smile, looking like he could fall asleep standing.

"Mhm, go rest, please. You are concerning me now." I sighed, starting the water for the tea then looked at the kid with a light frown. "You never specified which you wanted." The surprised look of my boss deepened my worry. Was he ill. . ? I'll check later.

"I didn't?! Oh- well then coffee, please. . ." He mumbled in one breath, his eyes looking at anything but me.

"Milk and sugar?" I asked, getting the coffee. "And you can sit down wherever."

"Just sugar- is fine." He awkwardly walked over to the couch, sitting down and wrapping his arms around himself. Never knew someone could walk awkwardly.

As I prepared the coffee I could feel his eyes occasionally on my back, and on one such occasion I looked at him directly as well, his nervous energy was starting to fill the room.

"So your project, what's it on specifically?" I asked calmly, turning back to making the coffee.

"What project? OH! Thatttt project! Uh- it's On, history and stuff . . ." He looked quickly away, his gaze fluttering around the room.

"Ah, must be a fun one. Unless you don't like old novels?"

"No, I love old novels! They are really interesting! . . . Do- you like them?"

"Mhm, Aldie showed them to me and I liked them a lot." I shrugged casually, "nice to see other people do as well."

"Aha! He, seems really nice . . ." He smiled nervously, his cheeks turning a light shade of pink.

"Yeah, he is pretty exotic." I chuckled, leaning my back against the counter as I waited for the water to heat up.

"Um, and what about you? Why did you decide to work here?" He asked in hesitant rush, taking off his little hat and folding it excessively, staring down at it.

"History caught my eye and the position for manager was open." I watched him with a raised brow.

"Wow, how nice! You must really like working here then huh?" He peeked a glance at me, tensing up slightly when I met his gaze.

"Mhm, something new every day." I gave a calm smile, crossing my arms loosely.

"Hm, lucky you! Sounds . . . Cool!" His eyes flickered down to look at my arms or something. . . . Even the boss could keep longer eye contact. This was a bit new.

"Definitely new." I nodded, letting my arms fall to my sides, crossing them might come off in a wrong way. . . "How old are you?" I turned to turn off the stove.

"I'm 20! Yourself?"

20? College then. He looked younger. . . "28. How is college life treating you?" I asked humbly, pouring the water into mugs.

"You're only 28!? Uh? And I didn't go to college, I- dropped out . . ." He beamed nervously, his cheeks flushing a deep red as his hands still worked on folding the hat he had on his lap.