Enjoying the Chase - Chapter 5

Copyright © 2011 Kirsty Moseley

The chapter is dedicated to Uphillbattle3  because she correctly guessed the name of the book that's in this chapter - in a little competition on my facebook page! So well done Nissy!! :D

Pic is of Ashton and Anna for those of you that haven't read NLTL!

Chapter 5

I glanced in the mirror messing with my hair for another couple of minutes trying to make myself look the best I could before I headed over to Ashton's. I really needed to give it my best effort tonight, I didn't want to come on too strong in front of Ashton seeing as he'd already told me to stay away, so I needed her to do a little of the work.

I sighed and looked myself over, jeans and a white t-shirt. I didn't want to go there dressed to the nines tonight and make it too obvious that I was desperate for her attention. "Get your game on Nate." I mumbled as I slipped on my sneakers and headed to my best friends house to crash their dinner. Well crash dinner wasn't exactly right because I'd called this morning and managed to talk Anna into inviting me over; whining that I hadn't eaten properly for ages and how I'd had a hard week. As always she fell for it, well she probably saw through me too but she still invited me as I knew she would. 

I stopped at the closest gas station and bought a bunch of flowers for Anna and a bottle of wine. By the time I pulled up at their apartment I felt a little sick with nerves. If it didn't work tonight should I just give up and admit defeat? If she loved her guy that much then I shouldn't really split them up just for one night of passion with her, that really wasn't fair on her or him. The fact that I was ready to give up also scared me a little, I'd never cared if I hurt a girl before or what she wanted; it was all about self-gratification. So why was I bothered if she got hurt?

After letting myself up I knocked on their door and quickly straightened my shirt and running my tongue over my teeth to make sure I didn't have anything stuck there or anything. Ashton answered the door laughing at something, he waved me in and walked back into the kitchen where Anna and Rosie were giggling hysterically.

"What did I miss?" I asked looking at the three of them.

Rosie smiled and nodded towards Anna, "Just these two flirting. It's burning my ears so I'm glad you're here, maybe they'll stop now." she joked rolling her eyes.

"I'll stop." Anna giggled nodding making Rosie laugh too.

Ashton stepped to Anna's side, "I didn't agree to that Mrs Taylor." he said playfully as he wrapped his arm around her waist. She grinned and gripped the front of his shirt and pulled him closer to her looking at him with that look that she has for him all the time, not love but something else, almost like he was the centre of the world or something, like he was the sun and she'd been inside all her life. It was embarrassing and way too much for me to be seeing when I had no one to look at me like that.

I cleared my throat loudly making Anna sigh and pull away from him, she tore her eyes away from his to look at me. "Nate I could un-invite you you know." she scolded playfully.