Chapter 20 : Arrival to Caras Galadhon

As they walked, Haldir asked the Half-Men where they came from.

-You should at least guess, since you've seen us," said Merry. There are Elven havens in the west of my country, the Shire, where the Hobbits live.

-Blessed are you Hobbits for living near the shores of the sea! Said Haldir. It has been a long time since any of my people have seen it, but we still remember it in our songs. Tell me about these havens as we walk.

-I can't," said Merry. I've never seen them. I've never been out of my country. And if I had known what the world outside was like, I don't think I would have had the heart to leave it.

-Not even to see the beautiful Lothlorien? Said Haldir. The world is indeed full of perils, and there are many dark places in it, but there are still many beautiful ones, and though in every country love is now mixed with sorrow, it is perhaps only growing greater.

Seeing this, the Company, led by Haldir, followed the paths of the forest in single file, while the other Elf walked in line. They felt under their feet a soft and smooth ground, and after a while they walked more freely, without fear of falling or harming themselves.

Deprived of sight, Frodo saw his hearing and other senses sharpened. He could smell the trees and the crumpled grass. He could hear many different notes in the rustle of the leaves above him, in the murmur of the river to his right, and in the clear, faint voice of the birds in the sky. He could feel the sun on his face and on his hands as they passed through an open clearing.

They walked all day and Haldir stopped them for the night.

They slept on the ground, having no fear of being attacked in this place protected by the high magic of the Elves.

The next day they set off again and suddenly a messenger from the Lady of Lorién came to meet them.

He exchanged a few words with their guide and Haldir turned to the Community.

-The elves of the Lorién killed a band of orcs beyond the Celebrant. They were most certainly on your heels.

-Were there any losses on your side? Elenwë worried.

-Only one wounded, but he should make it.

-We are sorry. Said Aragorn.

Haldir aquiesca and continued:

-He also brings me a message from the Lord and Lady of Galadhrim. You must all walk freely, even the Dwarf Gimli. It is said that the Lady knows who and what each member of your company is. Perhaps new messages have arrived from Rivendell.

He first removed Gimli's blindfold:

-A thousand pardons! he said, bowing very low. Look at us now with a friendly eye! Look and be happy, for you are the first Dwarf to see the trees of the Naith of Lorien since the Day of Durin!

Truly stunned, Gimli was dumb with admiration.

-By Thrain! Never had my eyes seen a more beautiful landscape!

Legolas, who had just removed his gag, laughed softly at his companion.

-Lorién is a beautiful land which has nothing to envy to the splendours of Erebor, my friend.

To the left stood a large hill, covered with a carpet of grass as green as the spring of ancient times.

On top of them grew two circles of trees: those on the outside had snow-white bark, they had no leaves, but they were splendid in their harmonious nudity; the trees on the inside were large mallornes, still covered with pale gold.

High among the branches of a very tall tree placed in the centre of the ensemble, shone with a white glow.

At the foot of the trees and on all the green slopes, the grass was strewn with small star-shaped golden flowers.

Among them, dancing on thin stems, were other flowers, white or very pale green: they shimmered among the rich colour of the grass.

Above, the sky was blue, and the afternoon sun shone on the hill, casting long green shadows under the trees.

-Look! You have arrived at Cerin Amroth," said Haldir. For here is the heart of the ancient kingdom as it was long ago, and here is the mound of Amroth, where in happier days his high house was built. Here the winter flowers bloom eternally in the ever-fresh grass: the yellow and pale elanor.

niphredil.

We will stay here for a while, and we will arrive at the city of Galadhrim at dusk.

The Company could not resist the urge to throw themselves into the grass.

Elenwë took a deep breath and sat down on the ground.

She exclaimed, addressing Haldir:

-From as far back as I can remember, I remember such a place. Although I was only a child, all my life I will remember the feeling of peace that pervades my soul then.

O Cerin Amroth, High Place of the Elves! My heart is happy to find you again.

Haldir smiles and says:

-It seems the Lady of Galadhrim has found you not far from this place. Perhaps it was a choice of your parents?

Elenwë scowled slightly.

-My real parents are Lord Elrond and the Lady Celebrian. I don't care about those who have abandoned me.

Legolas, not far away, frowned. He had never seen the young elf so annoyed.

Haldir addressed the other members of the Community:

-Come up with me to Cerin Amroth!

The company followed him, except for Aragorn, who stood there motionless and upright.

Suddenly he seemed carefree, his face beautiful and relaxed, he whispered in elvish, an elanor flower in his right hand.

Arwen vanimelda, namarië! Elenwë approached him and whispered:

-Aragorn?

-This is the heart of the Elvish world," he said, "and my heart will remain here forever, unless there is a light beyond the dark roads that you and I still have to travel. Come with me!

And taking Elenwë's hand in his own, he left the hill of Cerin Amroth, where he was never to leave.

come back alive.

They soon left again and arrived in the evening at Caras Galadhon, the heart of the Lorién.

Haldir told them many stories as they walked and they came to a footbridge that went up, slaloming through the trees.

-I will go first, then Frodo, then Legolas and Elenwë.

-I will go first, then Frodo, then Legolas and Elenwë. The others will follow in any order they wish.

The lady and the lord of the Lorién want to meet you.

They climbed up for a long time and arrived in a huge room suspended between the trees.

There, a beautiful elf with white skin and long blond hair was waiting for them, and at her side the Lord Celeborn.