Chapter 25 : Departure on Anduin

Lady Galadriel approached them to invite them to drink the cup of separation.

She brought the cup to each member of the Company, inviting them to drink it as a sign of farewell.

When this was done, she ordered them to sit down on the grass, and chairs were set up for her and for Celeborn.

-We drank the cup of separation," she said, "and the shadows fell between us. But before you left, I brought from my ship gifts which the Lord and Lady of the Galadhrim offer you in memory of the Lothorién.

Then she called them one after the other.

-Here is the gift of Celeborn and Galadriel to the guide of your company," she said to Aragorn.

And she gave him a scabbard made especially for his sword. It was covered with an interlacing of flowers and leaves in silver and gold, and on it were inlaid many gems forming the elven runes of the name Anduril and the lineage of the sword.

-The blade drawn from this scabbard will not be soiled or broken, even in defeat," she said. But is there anything else you wanted from me at this moment of our separation?

And Aragorn replied:

-Madam, you know all my desire, and you have long had in custody the only treasure I seek. But it is not yours to give to me, however much you wish it, and only through darkness will I reach it.

-But perhaps this will make your heart lighter, says Galadriel, for it has been entrusted to me to be given to you if you pass through this land.

Then she took from her garment a large light green stone, mounted in a silver brooch in the shape of an eagle with outstretched wings.

-This stone I had given to my daughter Celebrîan, and she had passed it on to hers, and now it is passed on to you as a sign of hope. In this hour, take the name that has been appointed for you, Elessar, the elven stone of the

Elendil's house!

Aragorn then took the stone and stapled the brooch to his chest, and those who saw him were astonished, for they had not noticed until then how regal his presence was, and it seemed to them that many years had fallen from his shoulders.

-I thank you for your gifts," he said, "O Lady of Lorien, from whom were born Celebrian and Arwen, the Evening Star. What greater praise could there be?

The Lady bowed her head, and then she turned to Boromir, and gave him a golden belt, and to Merry and Pippin she gave small belts of silver, the buckle of which was a golden flower. To Legolas and Elenwë she gave a bow of the kind used by the Galadhrim, longer and stronger than those of the Black Forest, and mounted with a rope of elf's hair. It was accompanied by a quiver of arrows.

-For you, little gardener and tree lover," she said to Sam, "I have only a small gift.

She put in his hand a small box of simple grey wood, with only one silver rune on the lid.

-That's a G for Galadriel," she says, "but it could just as easily evoke a garden in your language. (Garden) In this box is soil from my orchard, and it is under the influence of Galadriel's blessing. It will not keep you on your way and will not defend you against any danger, but if you keep it and return to your country in the end, perhaps you will find your reward in it. If you return to a barren and deserted land, there will be few gardens in Middle-earth whose flowering can rival yours, if you spread this land. Perhaps then you will remember Galadriel, and you will get a glimpse of distant Lorien, which you only saw in our winter. For our spring and our summer have passed, and no one will see them on earth any more except by memory.

Sam blushed up to his ears and whispered something elusive as he picked up the box and greeted as best he could.

-And what gift would a Dwarf ask the Elves for? asked Galadriel, turning to Gimli.

-None, Madam," replied Gimli. All I need is to have seen the Lady of Galadhrim and to have heard her sweet words.

-Hear ye, all ye Elves! she cried out for those around her. Let no one say any more that the Dwarves are greedy and ungainly! But, Gimli son of Gloin, surely you want something that I could give you? Name it, please! You will not be the only guest to leave without a present.

-I desire nothing, Lady Galadriel," said Gimli, bowing deeply and stammering. Nothing, except perhaps one of your hair, which surpasses the gold of the earth as the stars surpass the gems of the mine. I am not asking for such a gift. But you have ordered me to name my desire.

There was movement and murmurs of astonishment among the Elves, and Celeborn looked at the Dwarf with surprise, but the Lady smiled.

-It is said that the art of the Dwarves lies in their hands rather than in their language, she said, but this is not true of Gimli. For no one has ever made such a bold and yet courteous request of me. And how could I refuse, since I ordered her to speak? But tell me, what would you do with such a gift?

-I would treasure it, Madam," he replied, remembering the words you spoke to me when we first met. And if I ever find the forges of my country, it will be mounted in an imperishable crystal to remain a possession of my house and a token of good will between the Mountain and the Forest until the end of time.

The Lady then untied one of its long curls and cut three golden hairs from it, which she placed in Gimli's hand.

-The gift will be accompanied by these words, she said. I am not predicting anything, for any prediction would now be in vain: on the one hand there is darkness and on the other hand only hope. But if hope does not fail, I tell you, Gimli son of Gloin, your hands will be overflowing with gold, and yet the gold will have no hold on you.

And you, Bearer of the Ring," she said, turning to Frodo. I come last to you, and you are not the last in my mind. For you, I have prepared this.

She raised up a small crystal vial, and as she moved it, it sparkled, and rays of light shone from the vial.

white gushed out of his hand:

-In this vial, she said, is captured the light of the star of Eärendil, fixed in the waters of my spring. It will shine even brighter when night surrounds you. Let it be a light to you in the dark places, when all others are extinguished. Remember Galadriel and his Mirror!