Chapter 6- Beaches & Bonfires

"We're going to a bonfire tonight," I told Cyrus as I handed him a plate to dry

"We're going to a bonfire tonight," I told Cyrus as I handed him a plate to dry. We were always put on dish duty when our families had dinner. Our parents were in the other room having boring adult conversation and Cyrus and I would usually be in here making a mess of the soap suds.

"Since when are we invited to a bonfire?" he said with a frown.

"Since I ran into Declan at the supermarket."

"Since when do you talk to Declan?" He asked, his voice slightly rising.

"Keep your voice down idiot. And we don't exactly talk, not really..." I was lost trying to figure out the extent to our interactions, "Anyway, he was there with his friend Adam and they both told me to bring you too, so we're going."

The truth was that I had made up my mind as soon as he asked me to. It would be nice not to spend another Saturday night with our parents. Things had been a little slow in the new friend department for me and Cyrus was hesitant to spend more time with his teammates outside of practice.

"Come on, you know I won't go without you. This could be a really interesting development for the both of us."

"Are those words supposed to a comfort to me?"

I just nodded my head and he went on, "If Declan and Adam are going then that means Duncan will be there too. Do you know how hard I work not to sock that piece of shit in the face?"

"You're asking me if I understand the struggles of not punching somebody? Have you even met me?"

"You see my point though? I don't think anything good can come out of us going."

"You don't know that. C'mon, we can go for just a little. If we don't like it, we can leave."

He studied me for a moment, thinking it over in his head. "Fine," he eventually let out, "but I'm driving."

"Cool. Now go ask my dad, he'll say yes if you ask."

As he left I suddenly remembered something, "Oh shit Cyrus, speaking of cars!"

----------------------

I saw the bonfire from where we parked. As we got out of the car and walked closer to it, the crackling sound of burning wood blended with the sound of the waves crashing in the distance.

There was already a crowd of people I recognized from school. Someone had set up large speakers and people were dancing and balancing red solo cups in their hands.

"These bitches better clean up after themselves," I thought out loud. I know I was rough with people, but sea animals had my entire heart. Save the turtles or whatever the fuck.

"Yeah, I know how you feel about the sea turtles," Cyrus said reading my mind.

"We should all feel for the sea turtles. And the dolphins. And the jellyfish are pretty cool too from a distance."