Chapter 23- Hpy 1 Work!

It took a total of four days to go through the interview process and wait as patiently as I could to receive the phone call

But I got the job at Jimmy's Diner and today was my first day. Of course, dad insisted on driving me there as a special occasion sort of a thing, so I texted Cyrus to come get me later.

"They're waiting for you at table five, do you feel ready enough to give it a shot or do you still want to observe someone else do it first?" My manager Risa asked me. She had been completely helpful and supportive with me all day so far as she trained me. Her advice though was, the best practice is through experience.

"Never mind you're ready." She didn't really wait for my response before she shoved a notepad and a pen into my hands and sent me off to table five to take my very first order.

I was nervous but I still put my best customer service smile on before I reached the table where a small middle-aged friend group waited for me.

"Hey there, welcome to Jimmy's. My name is Rowena and I'll be your server today. What can I get you started with?" To be fair, I came here a lot and knew perfectly well what their script was to take orders. I didn't let myself get too impressed with how I handled it, feeling that I would get overconfident and mess up along the way.

"Yeah, can I get the uh, avocado burger with the bacon," said one man with hair growing only on the side of his head. "And I'll take that with a side of fries and a vanilla shake, please." I smiled at his please before repeating his order and scribbling it down as quickly as I could.

The other two people who were with him gave me their orders as well and I think I somehow managed not to screw up.

I squealed just a little as I went back to my manager who was observing me from afar. "How'd I do on my first try?"

"Not bad," She said, nodding her head in approval. "But what are you forgetting now?"

I blinked at her for a moment until I realized I still had their orders in my notebook. I should have sent it to the cook the very second I reached the counter. "I knew that," I shrugged off and clipped the order to the line over the counter.

——————————

I worked a total of six hours my first day. It wasn't bad for a weekend when they were usually busy. I had lots of help from my manager and some coworkers if they saw me struggle, but the only mistake that happened was when I mixed up the plates I was handing off. Other than that low-grade embarrassment, It was a pretty good first day.

The diner was still open for another four hours and guess who I saw walk into the doorway about half an hour before my shift ended?

It was Declan, followed shortly after Adam, followed by Cyrus right after, and then Natalie smiling in behind them.