Chapter Three | Well Fuck

The campus seemed oddly peaceful and the cafeteria wasn't totally gross, however, Ember was too anxious to order anything and settled on something from a vending machine instead.

When she walked outside the cool autumn air hit her face, it was finally getting cold out and she couldn't be happier about that fact. Ember loved the cold weather. Something about the chilly air was comforting and safe.

Exploring the ways of the campus grounds was interesting. For instance, there are parts that looked like something she thought would have been in some TV show or movie then there were other places that looked like the gross alleyways in the pit of New York City.

Either way, it took Ember two hours to map out where all her classes would be. She drew small lines on the map she had on her phone and prayed she didn't get lost when the time came.

Heading back to her dorm she was nervous to see if she had a roommate or rather if they moved in and if they were going to be nice. It was a weird mix of excitement and dread as Ember unlocked the door and peered inside to see a blonde about the same height as her unpacking a suitcase.

The blonde turned around at the sound of the door opening, Ember might have panicked. The girl's grey eyes were difficult to look away from. However, Ember managed to get inside with a small wave and make it to her bed before anything else could happen.

Ember felt a bit mortified that of all people it had to be the girl she made out with?

Great, now she had to figure out how disgusted the blonde was with her now that she was fully sober and out of the confines of the party scene. Ember was not looking forward to that.

"Hope you don't mind yellow, I might have an obsession," she said kinda loudly as she unpacked.

Ember couldn't tell if she was just trying to make small talk or if she didn't recognize her. She hoped for the second one.

Ember didn't answer her and instead just shook her head casually and acted as if she didn't hear the comment by putting on her headphones and pulling up her messages.

[ Help, my roommate was the girl I told you about! ]
15:17

It didn't take long for her best friend, Karter to text back.

Karter 🏳️‍🌈:
[ I made a joke and now Flynn is steaming the fucking mattresses... ]
15:17

[ I guess we are both fucked then. If you need to you can stay here for the night while your cousin steams the mattress. Ugh, I just want to fuck the girl-she's really hot. ]
15:18

Karter 🏳️‍🌈:
[ Thanks for the offer but I roomed with a girl last year and am convinced if I wasn't already gay then that Barbie-ass-bitch would have made me gay. Also, you should just go for it, see where she really stands and fuck her. Or don't and just torture yourself. ]
15:19

Ember thought about his words but figured not to act on them. Fucking her would only make things more awkward. There was no way Ember wanted to make things worse.

She looked up from her phone the girl was still unpacking, humming as she threw a few pillows onto her bed. She didn't seem bothered or upset. Maybe it wasn't as bad as Ember seemed to think.

The room had been silent for too long, the time didn't feel right to tell her new roommate that she didn't talk. Ember wasn't about to deal with any more emotions today.

It was to the point where she was just overwhelmed.

She was way out of her element and away from Ryan and Carmon even. Ember looked over to the small picture she had on the wall beside her bed.

The people in the image seemed so happy then, Ember with ice cream on her face and her sister happily eating an ice cream cone, while Ryan tried not to laugh at the sight as he took the picture of all of them.

Why couldn't she be a kid again?

Ember knew it was going to be a long time here and she already wanted to go home.