Chapter 21

About an hour and a half earlier...

"People say you never forget your first ghost." Reggie says to Alex, although that could apply to Brielle and Julie as well. Alex is not happy with the fact that Willie chooses not to tell him what's going on and why he has to avoid him, instead breaking both of their hearts.

"Alex, you're a great drummer, and a great guy, okay?" Luke says, Alex agreeing with his statement. "I wouldn't let all that stuff get into your head." All that stuff being the relationship drama that seems to follow Alex wherever he goes.

"Sometimes, a little fire can make things better on stage." Reggie counters. "Like you and Julie." Reggie says, although he still wishes Julie wasn't on Luke's mind. But, bro code exists for a reason.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Luke asks, because he has never intentionally looked at Julie that way. Most of the time, it's faked chemistry and he's imagining Brielle in Julie's place. "I don't like Julie like that."

"Everyone can see the way you look at her when you sing." Luke stops breathing temporarily, feeling awful for leading Julie on like that, but he has no idea Julie is wishing Reggie was the one singing instead of Luke. "You guys ooze chemistry."

"You should never say 'ooze' again, but yeah, definitely a lot of chemistry between you two."

"Okay, no. I have chemistry with everyone I sing with." If I imagine it's Brielle, Luke thinks, before singing a part of 'Great', staring straight at Reggie.

"That was pretty hot." Reggie just blushes a bit, and Alex agrees, kind of wishing he had some kind of moment like that and it was real, not just acting out a scene to prove a point. "Girls, am I right?"

"Yeah." Luke agrees.

"No." Alex disagrees.

As the nerve-filled hour and a half passes, Julie has arrived and set up the stage for them, moving the "hologram projector" to a safe spot in the back of the cement area that will soon be filled with dozens of high schoolers and Ray's colleagues. Brielle and Aliyah have arrived, bringing another person with her—Luke's brother, Erik—and Aliyah is flipping out because she is obsessed with Sunset Curve. Brielle promised Aliyah that she would be able to get Luke's, Reggie's, and Alex's signatures for her t-shirt, which is a tie-dye shirt with the familiar black logo on the front. It already has Bobby's signature, so she just wants the other three.

"What's up, everybody?" Flynn asks the crowd of teenagers, hearing cheers in response. "Time to put your hands up, do a little dance, yup. Here's the new anthem from Julie and the Phantoms."

Brielle is standing right next to Erik, who has been filled in on what exactly goes on, because it's his dead brother. Besides Aliyah, it's the only person she's told. Plus, he understands that if his parents know about Luke's... status... it could cause chaos in their lives. Erik can't see the ghosts outside of their performance, and thinks that's what Brielle and Aliyah see too, although that's just his innocence and obliviousness talking. Carlos and his friend pry open the doors, which have the words Julie and the Phantoms in crepe flowers across them in pink and black.

Julie walks out with the ghosts and the biggest smile on her face, sitting at the piano. "Thanks for coming, everyone." Playing the first notes, the crowd is already anxious to hear their new song.

"Running from the past

Tripping on the now

What is lost can be found, it's obvious

And like a rubber ball

We come bouncing back

We all got a second act, inside of us" The boys appear, causing the crowd to cheer, both in awe and excitement.