Expect the Unexpected

Clarke's POV

Hope.

That desire to believe in the unknown in order to escape from reality, because what's reality without a little fiction? How I wished to live a simple life, but that wasn't the reality that I was chosen to have.

Wanheda, Princess, Commander of Death, Prisoner, Criminal. This is who I became to those who needed a beacon of hope in our broken reality. So, tell me something, is hope enough?

Madi: What are you writing? (asks groggily)

I quickly closed the small journal, and placed it on the edge of the bed next to where I sat.

Clarke: (sighs) Nothing. (looks at Madi) How did you sleep?

Madi: Better. I had a dream about Picasso, (smiles) she was chewing on your boots, and you were yelling at her. (giggles)

I shook my head and chuckled. There was only a moment of silence before Lexa's voice was heard outside.

Lexa: Young goufa, come spar with me. I would like to see how well Clarke taught you.

Madi's face brightened, and she quickly looked at me for permission. I smiled and nodded, but before she could bolt I placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head. 

I followed Madi outside, the sun blinding me for only a second. Lexa was standing in an open area, where sand littered the floor instead of rocks. Raven had drawn lines in the sand to indicate the boundaries of a sparring match, and Octavia was currently wrestling with Echo. Lexa and a few others were entranced by the fight, observing and predicting the fight. I went and stood beside Lexa, who was already sporting bruises from her previous matches.

Clarke: Your match with Raven didn't last long.

Lexa: (smirks) Her leg machine couldn't keep up.

I noticed Raven lying on the ground near the tree line completely exhausted. 

Clarke: (smiles) I'll go check on her to make sure she's not broken. Be careful when sparring with Madi.

Lexa looked at me then and smiled, her eyes bright and lively. I gave her hand a gentle squeeze and slowly let go while tracing my fingers along her arm as I left. When I got to Raven, I sat down next to her, and soon Murphy and Emori did the same.

Raven: (gasping for breath) She... lle... m.

Not understanding what she said, I leaned closer.

Clarke: What, Raven?

Raven: She... killed... me. 

Her breaths weren't as staggered now, and she was able to create full sentences.

Murphy: I know, we were watching. That was the most pathetic fight ever Reyes. 

Raven: Shut up, Murphy. Like you... could do any better against the commander.

I looked towards Emori.

Clarke: How long did she last?

Emori: About a minute.

Raven grimaced, then slowly sat up and began to adjust her brace.

Clarke: Anything I should be worried about Raven?

Raven: Probably a couple of bruises, nothing I can't handle.

Clarke: What about your head?

Raven: (quickly shakes her head) I asked Lexa to avoid my head and my leg. How's Octavia's fight going?

We all turned our attention to the fight that was about to end. Octavia currently had Echo in a headlock, but Echo swung her leg and knocked Octavia on the ground. It was clear that they were both exhausted, sweat glistened on their foreheads and their breaths were ragged. Octavia, now on the ground, used her entire body to sweep Echo's feet from under her. Since Echo's reaction time was slow, she wasn't able to dodge. Octavia quickly got up and straddled Echo's waist while pinning her arms down. Echo struggled under her for a few moments before giving up. Understanding, Octavia rolled off of her, but made no motion to get up.