The First Obstacle

Clarke's POV

I could hear the trickling of the rain as it hit the side of the shelter, and the rough winds were loud enough to keep everyone awake. I bet it's the coldest night we've had so far. Madi and I had huddled up on one of the cots, desperately trying to preserve the heat. Our teeth chattering and our bodies shivered against each other, I placed her head under my chin while continuing to hug her.

Madi: I'm... so...cold.

Her breath floated in the air.

Clarke: I know sweetie. I know.

The thin and scrawny blankets that we had scavenged from Sanctum weren't as warm as they had seemed. Murphy's choice of course, I'll have to give him the death glare later. Now that I thought about it, Murphy had brought extras, hadn't he.

Clarke: (whispers to Madi) I'm going to collect another blanket from Murphy's shelter, I'll only be gone an instant, okay.

She was too cold to answer in words, but the single nod of her head was all that I needed. I carefully lifted the blanket, trying not to steal the heat from Madi. I swung my two feet off the bed and slipped them into my shoes, I then grabbed the metal umbrella Raven had made from the supplies we had gathered, and quickly braced myself for the storm.

The rain had made the path muddy, and soon the sloshing of my footsteps could be heard all throughout camp. Murphy shared his shelter with Emori, so instead of having two cots, they decided to share one. I'll have to be sure to announce my presence before entering, or else I'll see more than I want to. Raven has told me from experience.

Clarke: Murphy! Are you awake?

Murphy: Ya, ya. Just a minute. (grumbles)

It didn't take long for Murphy to let me come inside, but I knew that I had interrupted something by the way his hair was styled, and how he was out of breath.

Clarke: Sorry. 

Murphy: Don't worry about it. What do you need?

Clarke: An extra blanket.

I suddenly remembered Lexa, and how pale she looked when I left. She could still feel even though she was unconscious.

Clarke: Make that two blankets.

Murphy: Coming right up.

The two folded blankets he handed me were warmer than the ones we already had, and I was grateful because of that. They were both mauve, with fringes coming from all corners, it kind of resembled a quilt.

Clarke: Thanks Murphy.

Murphy: No problem.

I rushed back to my shelter, keeping the blankets nicely tucked under my shirt. Monty and Harper's son Jordan, had come up with the idea of a "Shoeset" , it was literally a closet for shoes. He used some of the left-over shelter materials, covering part of the ground then letting a sheet hang above it on some rope. It was extremely useful in situations such as these. I left my muddy shoes in the Shoeset, making sure that they would stay dry for the following morning. Thankfully, the Shoeset was close to my shelter, so my feet were completely covered. 

When I entered the tent, I saw that Madi had wrapped herself with the blanket and had finally gotten to sleep, Lexa hadn't moved from her position, but her skin was indeed changing into a light blue. I quickly went towards her, careful not to wake Madi. I placed my hand upon her face and jumped slightly from the touch. Her temperature was decreasing at an incredible pace. I pulled one of the blankets out from under my shirt and tightly wrapped it around her. Hopefully, she would be all right. I placed a soft kiss on her forehead, now worried about her condition, then with a small sigh I returned to Madi.