EIGHT

REBEL REBEL
━━━━━━(●'ω`●)━

YOUR MIND RACES. AMANDA is displeased with you for your unsuccessful attempt at catching the Deviants back in Ravendale. She wants you to do better, she needs you to better, and she made it very clear that if you don't, you'll be taken off the mission.

Or replaced by a more capable RK800 model.

You're a machine designed to accomplish a task. You're a machine made to obey. You're a machine, one that can't feel things.

But then why does Amanda's warning make your software unstable?

"Hey, Y/N! You run outta batteries or what?"

Your eyes snap open and you see the Lieutenant and Connor staring at you with confusion. You stare right back at them, your LED glowing a stable yellow. They're standing in the moldy corridor of the apartment-complex as you stand in the Elevator patiently.

With a polite smile, you reply, "I'm sorry, I was making a report to Cyberlife."

"Uh..." Lieutenant Anderson's voice trails off. "Well, do you plan on staying in the elevator?"

"No!"

Connor laughs as he sees your indignant expression. You blink at him, clueless as to why he's so amused, but enjoying the sound of his happiness nonetheless.

"I'm coming," you add and Hank raises his eyebrows.

Hank sighs and walks away from the elevator to approach a door a little bit down the corridor. As per usual, Connor trails after him like some Mini-Me who's determined to impress their role-model.

But, in a way, you suppose the Lieutenant really is Connor's role-model. Based on his family history, his father was never written down on his birth certificate and he spent most of his childhood jumping from foster homes.

You follow after the two men quietly.

"What do we know about this guy?" asks Hank as he studies the ground.

"Not much." Connor crouches down on the ground next to a pile of bird feathers and you can see his head tilting as he studies it. "Looks like the building has a bird infestation, though."

You nod, "A neighbor reported that he heard strange noises coming from the floor... It could have something to do with the feathers. Nobody's supposed to be living here. But the neighbor said he saw a man hiding an LED under his cap."

Hank hums and you stand next to Connor to take a closer look at the feathers.

SCANNING...

The feathers belong to a large group of domesticated rock pigeons. But based on the building's structure, there seem to be no places in the walls where a flock could nest.

"Oh Christ, if we have to investigate every time someone hears a strange noise, we're gonna need a lot more cops," says Hank.

He seems to be in a bit of a mood. You assume it's because he's had to go on three different cases in the past 24 hours with a brand new partner he doesn't want (although, he is warming up to you very quickly).

Connor stands up and looks over at you, seeming thoughtful. 

After a moment, he speaks, "Y/N, you do realize that your life is more important than completing a mission, right? I mean, back at the highway with those Deviants... I really thought you were going to get yourself killed."

"I cannot die," you say immediately, "I'm not alive. if I were to be destroyed, Cyberlife would simply upload my memory chip onto another RK800 model and send it out in my stead."