Not a party

"She hates parties." Miki's tone was as flat and no-nonsense as Shinta imagined his expression would be.

"It's not a party," he said to his phone. "It's an intimate congregation."

"Also hates surprises," Miki went on.

"I am walking a tightrope, I know."

Shinta flopped face down on the sofa, his feet dangling from the edge. He raised his head to peek at his door in case Jill was coming in, but he had only imagined the faint jangling of keys.

Birthday planning was fun but he was making this year's extra stressful for himself, with how much he wanted it to be perfect. Also with how he was involving more people. It was usually a trip or a quiet day of just the two of them, how she preferred it.

But really, one did not turn 30 every year.

"What do you have?" Miki's voice called him back.

"Sushi, guitars, Tokyo, Trainman, girl squad, me. A list of things she likes."

"No better place to start."

Shinta sighed. "Hai."

He reached for his laptop, open on the side table. He had been searching for inspiration, for a hint of something that would be the perfect not-quite-a-surprise, not-big-enough-to-be-a-party idea.

He had been searching for weeks, thinking about this for months. He'd thought of a lot but nothing was sticking. He swiped his finger on the trackpad and typed some more, going back to his usual website haunts for possible clues.

He was scanning on social media when he saw the announcement. He and Jill had been waiting for this. And for it to fall on this date.

His face stretched into a grin.

"Yatta." He shifted his cheek to speak to his phone where Miki was holding his end of the call. "I think I got it."