31 | M + E

Mattia

Nuelle fell asleep next to me but she must have gotten up and left when I got my shut eye, because she was gone when I woke up.

I waited for her return. But, by the third time the bedroom door opened to reveal yet someone other than her, I stopped expecting her yet I kept hoping that she would come see me.

I told myself that perhaps she needed more time and since I did not want anyone else to know about what happened, I did not bother to ask for her. My most trusted employees were the only ones that needed to know about what was going on.

Around four in the afternoon Marissa came by to ask about Anthony's whereabouts and as always I had to lie to her. This was the very reason why I did not want to mix family with business, too many damn emotions involved.

"When will he be back?" She questioned with her arms crossed in front of her.

I had to draw in a long breath, that is how close I was to lashing out at her and releasing all my emotions.

"He's taking care of one of our projects, onsite inspection." I gulped.

"What project? I've looked through all of our current projects and there isn't an onsite visit planned for any of them." Her eyebrows knitted.

"It's one that's none of your concern. He'll be back soon. You were able to manage without him for months at the time, you'll survive a few hours."

She pressed her lips together at my response. It seemed like she wanted to say something but she stopped herself and headed to the door.

"I'm doing fine by the way, thank you for asking." I said right before she went out the door. She stopped and turned to face me but remained quiet at first.

"Mattia, you know how busy work is."

"Right. Well then, thank you for taking time off your busy schedule for this visit." I sarcastically smiled.

She gulped, taking her upper lip in between her teeth.

"Can you tell Nuelle that I need to speak with her?" Suddenly, Nuelle once again became the focus of my thoughts.

"Nuelle and I are leaving in a bit, but I'll let her know."

"Where to?"

"I'm not sure as yet. I'll tell her that you asked for her." She answered before she went on her way.

The time on my clock showed that it was almost nine, where could they possibly be heading to?, I asked myself.

Without thinking twice I rang up Christoph to ask where he was. If Rafael dared to show up at the house, there was nothing stopping him from bothering the others elsewhere. And as much as the women would hate me for having Christoph join them, I rather have that than to have something happen to them.

‐---------------//

Emmanuelle

With a heavy heart I put on my clothes as I got ready for a late night outing with Marissa. After the encounter with Rafael and everything that followed during and after that, I needed some time away from the house.

To my luck, Marissa was usually always in the mood to go out eventhough she was pretty tired. And Anthony being on a business trip only made it easier for her to agree to my suggestion.

Truth be told, I was happy that he had to work, because the lies and secrets that he had kept from me were only piling up and I was not in the right headspace to deal with that.