Chapter 3

AN: hi!! pls don't be ghost readers :]

It was June 3, 2019.

And Shade Flaurante was incredibly proud to proclaim that he was good at gifts. It was a careful art that he had the privilege of practicing and perfecting throughout the years. With pockets full of Daddy and Mommy's money as reparations for emotional scars, Shade was free to use their credit cards and take as many one-thousand peso bills from their wallets.

And, for this year, Shade went all out on Angelito's present. Not that he didn't every year—but he was proudest of this gift.

Shade had his online shopping cart filled to the brim with ideas, his Pinterest boards nearly clogged, and his idea list filled up. But he finally narrowed it down to something that answered both of Angelito's wants and needs.

It was a gift that showed how Angelito wouldn't have to doubt Shade's loyalty no matter fucking what. (Bro code.) (Ah, the dear bro code.)

Shade was already at Angelito's family restaurant, too, squashed next to others in Maginhawa, QC. Even though Angelito's birthday party started at six in the evening. Shade might as well show up early, right? To help with the preparations?

"Floooo!" Angelito greeted merrily. He pulled him in for a quick hug, a slap to the back, and a light squeeze. Angelito looked happy on his birthday, as he did every year.

"Happy Birthday, Angelito."

Angelito grinned his gummy, narrow-eyed smile.

"Ano' tooo?" (("What's thiiiis?")) Angelito asked happily, swiftly taking the gift box from Shade and shaking it. Shade shut the grand sliding door behind him, following Angelito to their restaurant's humble but beautiful white-painted function room.

"Mamaya mo na buksan," (("Open it later,")) Shade scolded as Angelito played with the box. Today, the function room was draped in Golden State Warriors yellow and blue, with the adorning of streamers and setting up of tables almost completed. Each table had five cupcakes, there were basketball-styled orange helium balloons stuck to the wall, tapered to the stage, and there were even flashing party lights installed for the day.

"Uy, Flo!" Tito Adrian called him over. He was settled at the front part of the restaurant, lounging in a yellow-clothed party chair.

Shade would never get over the shock of seeing Tito Adrian. He was only in his early thirties, and holy shit, he looked like Angelito. (Duh.) From the mannerisms to the voice and especially to the face. Angelito but with broader shoulders, Angelito with a bit more muscle, and he was Angelito with smile lines curling at the eyes.

"Hello po, Tito," Shade said sheepishly, taking a step back. But he couldn't escape a hug, not when Tito Adrian was already standing and walking towards him like a man on a mission. Fuck, Tito Adrian and Angelito hugged people the same way, too. Pulled in. Slapped on the back. A squeeze on the shoulder. Ruffles to the hair.

"Pfffft, anong Tito?" (("Why are you calling me Tito?")) Tito Adrian scolded. "Tatay nga, Hijo. Tatay." A wide grin. Too many gums. Bright eyes.

Shade nodded, fighting through that lump in his throat. "Sige, Tay," (("Sure, Tay,")) he mumbled, the word feeling foreign. The word didn't settle well at first. Tatay. (It never did. Shade tried to insist Tito was fine, but Tito—er—Tatay Adrian fought him every time.)

"Kumusta?" (("How are you?")) Tatay Adrian asked.

Shade shrugged. "Okay naman po."

Tatay Adrian grinned madly. He gave Angelito a playful look, scrunching his nose. "Buti na lang naligo ka ngayon." (("Thank God you took a shower today."))