Part 5

Ranbir picked up the soft piece of the cake and started walking towards her, She too moved from her spot beside the tree. As they met half way, they kept staring at each other for a moment, multifarious emotions swirling in the depth of their eyes, the most dominant one being their boundless love for each other. Ranbir raised his hand and offered the piece to her. Smiling through tears, she bit into it and cut off a smaller portion. Ranbir smiled. Then Prachi took the remaining piece from his hand and offered it to him. Smiling, he finished the rest of the piece of dessert.

"So? You have anything to say miss Arora?" Ranbir quirked up a brow.

Prachi knew what he wanted to hear. Of course she would deliver her apology. He totally deserved it. She stepped forward and hold her ears. She stared at him with a puppy face.

"I am sorry." Prachi looked at him with puppy eyes.

"I know you are. I am not talking about that at all. Don't you have anything else to say to me?" Ranbir frowned.

"What else do you want me to say?" Prachi feigned ignorance, knowing pretty well exactly what it was that he wanted to hear from her.

Ranbir looked at her with narrowed eyes, seeing through the ruse and recognizing the mischievous twinkle in her eyes.

So, his chikchiki was in a mood to play games, wasn't she? Well, two can play the game.

Ranbir pressed his lips together to keep from smiling and giving his intention away. He feigned annoyance and folded his arms across his chest in a telltale gesture of anger.

"Fine, if you have nothing more to say, then I will leave now. Consider your apology accepted." Ranbir whirled around and began to stride away, ignoring the startled visage of his lady love.

For a moment, Prachi was stunned to realise that her small, innocent prank had misfired pretty badly and that she had annoyed him again.

"Oh you stupid girl! Why do you always end up committing one blunder after the other." Prachi hit her forehead, admonishing herself in a low voice.

She hurried towards him but he was taller than her and hence, could afford longer strides. Also, being an athlete, he was way faster than her.

She knew she couldn't match his speed but she also knew the words which could effectively stop him on his tracks.

"I love you, Ranbir. I love you so much. I love you more than my life itself." Prachi simply stated the truest fact of her life.

As the words resonated in the isolated area, Ranbir stopped dead. As the words registered in his mind, his heart felt light after ages, as if it had started beating yet again after so many days of excruciating agony. The words began to fill him with unfettered and delirious exhilaration. Tears burned in the back of his eyes. He blinked to keep them at bay and slowly, turned around.

Prachi's eyes were brimming with tears, tears of relief at finally being able to say out loud the words that she had wished to say so many times as she witnessed the torment he had gone through and which she had experienced along with him. His heart break, his every pain, his every tear were just finishing her bit by bit. He had to deal with heartbreak but she had to deal with heartbreak along with the crushing guilt of breaking the heart of the one person who had loved her unconditionally. And now that things have started to get sorted between them, she just couldn't see him moving away from her at all.

Ranbir's lips curved into a heart melting smile and he opened his arms. Prachi didn't need anymore invitation. She went running into his arms. Both wrapped their arms around each other, silently vowing never to let the other go away again. They stood there, basking in the glory of togetherness yet again.