Chapter Five

As Magnus strode across the lobby towards the front doors, he briefly considered letting Nyx know it was time to go. She had been highly unprofessional—despite the fact that distracting the Captain made it easier for him to get what he needed—but he wasn't sure if leaving her out in the wild with humans was a good idea.

Fuck it, he thought bitterly, she's going to do what she's going to do and she can deal with the fucking consequences.

He exited the hotel, and then stopped short at the sight of Nyx perched on the hood of his car. She had one leg crossed over the other, a cell phone in her hand.

He sighed and approached her. "Get in the car," he said gruffly.

"Oh, how's it going, Sir Cockblock?" she teased, and hopped down to get into the passenger seat.

"I was about to say you don't have a cock to block," he said as he settled into the driver's seat and fired up the car, "but I don't actually know, and before you make any gross comments, I don't want to know."

She giggled. "See, you're learning!" She shut the passenger door as he punched the gas. "I'm joking anyway, I had a lot of fun with the sweet Captain. Sweet as candy."

"Some of us did our actual jobs," he snapped, and slapped a stack of printouts into her lap.

"Is this our suspect?" she asked, thumbing through the still photos from the footage. "Look at that tat!"

He nodded. "Shyla Hancock, tiger shifter," he explained as he sped out into traffic. "She's caused issues in the past, never murders but exposed herself a few times to humans and we had to send in some cleaners."

"Cleaners, huh?" Nyx raised an eyebrow. "Mind cleaners?"

"Sometimes," he replied. "Anyway, she hasn't been around in a few years, word was she'd gone to Vegas. There's a big fairy population there, and we had a few keeping an eye on her, but as far as I know there were no reports of her leaving."

The pixie straightened the pages and kept them neatly in her lap. "So she snuck out of Vegas and now she's here killing humans?"

This is 8057 words, right under the wire for the deadline. I'll update this chapter later with the rest of this scene. <3 Thank you for your patience. XD