Ch16

I walked down the street the next day fiddling nervously with the bottom of my dress. My hands were sweaty, my nerves were on edge, and I knew that I needed to calm down to not look like I was meeting up with a revolter at a coffee shop. I needed to look calm and relaxed, I couldn't draw suspicion to myself.

I walked into the café, the little bell at the door ringing as I came in. It was a small shop with a couple of tables and little decorations around the room.

I sat at a table and a waitress came over to me.

"Bonjour, would you like anything to drink?" She asked me with a smile.

I shook my head.

"No, thank you." 

"That's too bad, I heard the coffee here is the best one, especially since the war started." A lady said as she took a seat from across me.

I looked at her and assumed the lady to be part of the revolters and she smiled at me and said,

 "You should really try the coffee, I'll pay."

"Okay, if you say it's the best," I told her trying my best to make it seem like a relaxed conversation.

"Two coffees, please." She said to the waitress with a smile.

When the waitress left the lady looked at me and said, "Sophie is your name, right?"

"Yes, and you are?" I said.

"Katrina." 

The waitress came back with our coffees and set them in front of us.

"Merci." We both said.
Katrina watched her leave then sipped her coffee and made a disgusted face.

"Never mind, I take it back, this isn't the best coffee." 

I couldn't help but chuckle despite the nervous situation I was in.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked her, my curiosity at what she might say making my stomach swirl with nerves.

Katrina sipped her coffee again.

"All hell will break loose once you're in."

I nodded, understanding that she was telling me that once I was involved with the revolters I wouldn't have any peace.

"I understand, and I'm willing to do it."

"Well, willing and wanting are two different things, are you sure you want this?" She asked me.

"Yes, I'm sure," I told her with a breath.

Katrina nodded and then suddenly began to laugh as she saw Nazi soldiers walk into the café.
I knew that I should start laughing too and say something like I was telling a funny story. Otherwise, it would seem suspicious.

"It was the weirdest thing I had ever seen." 

The soldiers didn't even glance over at us as they walked past our table, laughing.

Katrina smiled at me and I could tell that she was impressed with my cover-up.

"Sophie, it was nice having coffee with you, I wish the coffee had been just as nice." She took out her hand and I shacked it.

I felt her slip something into my hands and I held it as she stood up.

"Au revoir." She told me with a smile.

I watched Katrina walk away as I took a sip of my coffee and forced myself to swallow, it really was the worst cup of coffee.

I got home and saw Mama reading a letter on the couch, tears overflowing her eyes and I guessed it to be from Papa.

"Is that from Papa?" I asked her as I sat beside her on the couch.

Mama nodded.

"Oui." 

"Can I read it?"

She nodded her head and handed it to me and as I started to read it she got up and left.

I know you're not going to get this letter in a while, the mail has been so backed up lately that it could be months before you get this, but I love you Sophie, Rosaline. I think about you all the time here, I love and miss you so much, and I promise when I come home, I will never leave you again.

I love you both.

I felt tears overflow my eyes and I pressed the letter to my chest, thinking about Papa and imagining him in the POW camp writing this.

Then I frowned as I thought about the Nazis marching freely around here as if this was their home. As if they had been here all along, they should be the ones in a POW camp, paying for everything that they've done, for causing the war and invading other countries, for abusing their power. 

I felt the letter that Katrina had given me in my dress pocket. I set Papa's letter on the coffee table and went to my room then quickly unfolded the letter from my pocket.

Sophie,
I apologize for not meeting with you today but as you may or may not know it's risky for me to be seen with anyone in public places. Now you say that you know the risks you'll be taking and how your actions with us will make your life a life of secrecy, fear, and most of all bravery. Do you want to go through with all of this? If so today at 4:00 pm meet me at Greenwood Bridge.
I won't wait for you if you're late.
- Doc Martin.

I folded back up the letter and before I could have to even think about what I had read there was a knock on my door.

I jumped and quickly hid the letter underneath my pillow.

The door opened and Mama walked in her face was streaked with worry and she looked at me and then silently closed the door.

"Sophie," She began and then she stopped and shaked her head.

"What is it, Mama?" I asked.

She sighed and sat next to me on my bed and took my hand into hers.

"You know, I love you very much." 

I nodded.

"And this war hasn't been easy on anyone, we haven't been getting as much money or food, and we can barely afford to have a roof over our heads." She told me.

"I know, Mama," I said wondering what she was getting at.

Mama smiled and I could tell it was forced.

"Well, I got another job."

"That's great Mama, where?" I told her with a smile.

Her smile fell and tears overflowed her eyes again and she put her head into her hands.

"I'm so ashamed."

"Ashamed for what? What are you talking about?" I asked confused.

"Sophie, you have to understand how desperately we need money, and that sometimes people do, shameful things when they are in need," Mama said as she shakily pulled out a folded-up
paper.

I took the paper from her hands and slowly unfolded it and saw that it was a pamphlet that said:
Workers needed will get paid.

It was worded simply, but what made my heart drop was the swastika insignia at the bottom.