Closer 4

Closer

Sometimes one just needs to feel somebody a little bit closer.

You're fretting still until a few hours later when Addison's out of surgery, and you nervously approach her before she arrives at the cafeteria.

"Hi, Addison. Umm, hi- I was wondering if you wanted to maybe umm... Well y'see I feel like I owe you for this afternoon and I have the evening off, and you have the afternoon off (I checked, sorry), and anyway, if you wanted to come over then we could hang out, and-" you're rambling so badly that Addison just looks at you with a vaguely amused look until she finally pats you on the shoulder, and that stops you from your monologue.

"Yeah," says Addison simply, as she gives you a smile.

"It could be fun if you want to- wait really?" You didn't expect her to agree so easily.

"It sounds fun," says Addison, her eyes crinkling a little at the corners.

It makes your heart beat just a little bit quicker.

"Alright, ah, I'll be home after five so you can come by anytime after that, and if you want dinner we can order takeout. Just not Chinese food because I don't like it. But you could get it if you wanted I mean-" you over-explain everything, and Addison leans down and brushes your hair from your face, and says that she'll bring along something nice to drink, and to order some of whatever you're having.

"Okay..." you smile, and you preen under Addison's gaze as she waves goodbye to you.

You wave back, and you swoon a little, and you sigh thinking about it.

You are so screwed.

She's married.

Addison's still married, and you need to remind yourself that all the time.

She's not single, and so you can't just ask her out. Not that you necessarily would if she were single, because she's way out of your league, and also you might never get over the butterflies necessary to do so.

You still think about her though, about how she carries herself, about how she talks to the parents, like with Dorie and her husband when they ask about five of their daughters (who are all doing very well now, thanks to your medical interventions).

You're thinking about her right now, in fact, as much as you're trying to focus on charting which is boring anyway, and that's when you're interrupted by Izzie.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Izzie teases.

"Nothing-" you say. "Hey, and I thought you were mad at me?" You ask tentatively.

"Well, I was, but I got over it. I'm still mad at Alex, so I figure why not just be mad directly at Alex, right?" says Izzie.

"Right," you smile at her, because you do miss Izzie.

"So do you have a hot date tonight? Seeing as you apparently need the house all to yourself?" Izzie asks you.

"No-" you say, because it's not like you're lying.

"I think you're lying," says Izzie.

"I don't," you sigh.

"Alright, whatever you say," says Izzie as she picks up her stack of papers.

"She's got a hot date tonight," says Izzie to George as he walks by you.

"You- a hot date? But with who-" George says defensively.

"No one. No date, Izzie was making that up," you shake your head at him.

"Oh-" says George. "Well if you don't have a date then maybe we could-" George starts to say something but you cut him off with another shake of your head.