Eleven

We went inside, and I said hi to Louise and Clay. Louise furrowed her eyebrows.

"You two know eachother? And Sarah, what were you doing with George?"

"Just getting a coffee," she replied.

Clay raised an eyebrow at me, and I tried to ignore it. "Oh, we go to the same school. What a weird coincidence, seeing you here, Clay."

"Yeah, I was just dropping by for a cinnamon roll. What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Um, Sarah needed my help with something," I rambled, glancing at her with a pleading look. She seemed to get the memo, grabbing my arm.

"Yeah, I did. Let's go upstairs, and you can help me," she quickly said, and led me away. Louise stayed quiet, watching the whole thing unravel.

When we were upstairs and safely out of earshot, she looked at me weirdly. "What was that about?"

I sighed, rubbing my forehead. "Nothing, but he doesn't know I sleep here sometimes. I'd like to keep it that way," I explained. "Could I stay here until he leaves?"

"Yeah, sure," she said. Then she grinned. "So, is there something between you two?"

I shook my head. "Nope."

She didn't believe me. "He totally looked jealous when I said I got coffee with you," she urged. "There's no way he doesn't like you."

"I think you're just seeing things," I replied, scratching my neck. She rolled her eyes.

"Fine, be in denial. But I'm telling you, it's obvious."

I huffed, not answering. I looked around Sarah's room, which was full of books. Lots of books.

"You like reading, huh?" I asked, observing the shelves.

"Yeah, I wanna major in English," she said. "I have no clue where it'll take me, but I wanna write for the rest of my life."

I had no clue what I wanted to do yet, and I didn't have very many options. I couldn't afford college, and so I'd probably end up working in a store or something.

Louise poked her head through the door. "Clay is gone, what was all that commotion for?"

"Nothing," I said quickly, heading out. "Thanks for today, Sarah, I'll see you."

I went out the bakery, making sure Clay was gone. I saw his car driving away, and sighed in relief. I went to my trusty place at the vent, leaning my head back.

What a day.