CHAPTER NINE

Paige and Brian fell into the bushes with an unceremonious thump. Dazzled by the brightness of the balloon exploding behind them. They were separated by the harsh impact, and scratched by the sticks and leaves.

"Aargh!" Paige cried. "Jason Statham makes falling out of the sky look easy."

"Paige, where are you?" Brian called from a bush nearby.

"Um, sorry I do not have the coordinates," Paige groaned.

"Stay where you are. I'll try to find you," Brian replied.

Paige felt aches and pains in her muscles and joints, but she was relieved that she could move her arms and legs. Her mum told her that a person with unknown injuries should try to keep immobile. So, she tried to keep as still as possible. She had rolled onto a clear area of grass, surrounded by bushes.

"Paige, talk to me. I can't find you."

The clouds cleared from the pale moonlight and Paige gasped. Her dress had torn down the middle, leaving her with a gaping neckline. It took the brightness of the moonlight to make her notice. She tried lifting up her hands gently to pin the collar manually, but her arms ached too much.

"Paige?"

"Over here," she wheezed.

Brian limped on one leg as he parted the bushes, and moved as fast as he could towards Paige. His shirt was torn when he landed, and he hoped it would not be awkward when she saw him.

Paige heard the rustling of the bushes get louder.

"Mr Rochester, is that you?"

There was no response. Her voice echoed in the early evening air. She heard a twig snap and her breath hitched. Brian had good intentions, but they certainly got more than they bargained for.

Another twig snapped and shrubs shook violently.

"Paige?"

She did not reply. Maybe it was a crazed slasher that overheard Brain calling her. It did not sound like Mr Rochester's voice.

"Paige? Come out, come out, wherever you are," snarled the mystery voice.

Paige was paralyzed. Not from the fall, but with fear. She didn't respond, cursing the hot air balloon silently. It didn't kill her and now the British Pennywise was going to finish the job.

Suddenly, Brian emerged from the bushes.

"Bollocks!" Paige gasped. "You scared the living daylights out of me. That was not funny."

"Yes, it was," Brian chuckled, he winced as he laughed and limped forward. "Do you like my bogey man voice?"

"No," Paige said firmly. She suppressed the laugh that wanted to burst forth.

"Sounds like you want to giggle," Brian teased. He moved closer, and the the clouds parted again. Bathing them in full moon light. When they laid eyes on each other and got a clearer view, both of them were shocked.

"Mothertrucker," Paige whispered. She knew that Brian was a health freak, but never realised how toned he was. His shirt had been torn clean off his body and his jeans were ripped. He looked like an alpha werewolf, set for a transformation. She wondered how she did not notice his muscular physique earlier.

Brian rubbed his right thigh and muttered inaudibly. Bending down slightly, he panted.

"Crikey," he whisper yelled.

Paige winced when she tried and failed to hold her neckline. She cursed her bestie, Madeline for swapping her plain underwear with lacey ones.

Paige struggled to tear her eyes away from Brian's torso. Everywhere she looked spelt trouble. From his square shoulders, to his veiny, muscular arms and the light hair on his chest. It was pure masculinity. The opposite of all the teenage boys she knew.