CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Paige took a deep breath and mentally prepared herself. For the people who would be genuinely interested in knowing more, and the detractors who would want to shake her credibility.

Mr Gordon asked the first question, "Where did you obtain your gastrointestinal pathogens from and how do you recommend the Hawton extracts be used in the treatment of gastrointestinal disease?"

'Hey! That is not one question,' Paige thought.

Paige nodded, "Thank you, sir. I obtained the pathogen samples from St. Kensey Hospital. I would recommend that the medicinal extracts be introduced into naturally sweetened syrups for children."

"Aww," the audience cooed.

Professor Rawlings nodded with approval, "That is impressive. St. Kensey hospital is in Dover, am I correct?"

"Yes, sir," Paige responded.

"How did you get to know the staff?"

'Easy. That is where I was treated after jumping out of an exploding hot air balloon. I just kept in touch with them,' Paige thought.

"I introduced myself, flashed my I.D. card and promised to make them famous, sir," Paige joked.

Even Professor Rawlings laughed at the joke and shook his head with a smile on his face.

Panelist after panelist fielded questions. Some simple, others complex. Fortunately, Paige had done extensive research in preparation for her presentation.

Finally, the last question was asked.

'Thank God!' Paige exclaimed internally.

"Would you be willing to continue with the research?" A smooth, deep, masculine voice asked.

Paige froze. She knew that voice anywhere. It was Mr Rochester. The bright lights shining in her eyes, must have affected her ability to see all the people seated on the panel. He had the audacity to come for her presentation. Just two weeks after her lab analysis started, he went to the University of Wales for post doctoral research. She missed him terribly and soothed her heart ache with lab work. Till she completed her work, they communicated via Zoom and her weekly reports were sent via e-mail.

Within seconds, she translated his question. "Would you be willing to continue with the research?"

Translation: 'Please forgive me, and give me another chance.'

Paige pursed her lips, "Thank you, sir. I would prefer to explore other fields of research."

Translation: 'Get stuffed, sir. You lost your chance with me.'

"Pardon me, sir. Will time permit me to ask two more questions?" Brian asked Professor Rawlings.

"Hmm, please make them brief," he replied.

"In the course of your research, what important lessons did you learn about scientific procedures and independent lab analysis?" Brian asked.

Translation: 'I never stopped caring about you, but it was important for me to give you space. Your credibility would be protected and you would gain valuable skills to work alone.'

Paige hummed quietly. She hated to admit it, but he was right. They kept it professional during lab work, but anyone could see the sizzling chemistry between them. If he stayed around, detractors could easily say 'her man did the lab work.' Additionally, she had learnt to do a lot of analytical procedures by herself, unlike some of her colleagues who always wanted a partner.

"I learnt a lot of lessons, but one of the most important ones is that I am capable of conducting detailed lab analysis, and having fun during the process. Even while alone," Paige replied.