S I X

Okay, deep breaths (Y/N).

Swinging the door open, you walked into the pharmacy. After doing a quick scan to make sure you didn't see anyone you knew, you made your way over to the family planning aisle. 

There were a number of different tests to choose from. Not wanting to spend too much time you grabbed the first test with a brand name that you recognized and went to the checkout counter.  

Placing the test in front of the cashier, you pulled out your wallet getting ready to pay. The cashier looks at you sympathetically. She could clearly tell you were upset as you nervously drummed your fingers on the counter waiting for your card to be processed. 

"You can use the bathroom here if you want."

You looked up at the lady in surprise.

"What?"

"If it were me I'd want to know as fast as possible," she shrugged before continuing. "We have a bathroom in the back, feel free to use it." She pushed a key over to you along with the test. 

It was a nice gesture, and it was true. You needed to know one way or the other. Why not do it here? You were just about to open your mouth to thank her when the door to the pharmacy swung open. 

Standing in the doorway and walking over to you was a familiar looking brown-haired boy, a goofy smile on his face.

Crap. What the hell was he doing here? You quickly hid your hands behind your back praying that he hadn't seen the pregnancy test. Inwardly cursing your face for always giving away your emotions, you replaced your nervous expression for the best smile you could muster. 

"Hey, (Y/N) right? How are you doing?" 

"Hey Peter, nice to see you again," you said, keeping the smile plastered on your face. He didn't seem to be acting any different so you assumed gratefully that he hadn't seen anything. 

"Yeah, you too. How've you been?" 

You had really hoped he wouldn't want to do the whole small talk thing. You didn't really know each other and it was nice of him to ask, but now all you wanted was to get out of the pharmacy as fast as possible. Out of the corner of your eye you could see the lady at the register smirking slightly, clearly understanding the awkward position you were in. Well, at least your life was amusing to someone. 

"I've been good. You know how it is, just classes and studying. You?"

"Yeah, same here," Peter replied, grabbing some candy from below the counter and tossing it in front of the cashier with some cash.

The two of them stood there awkwardly. You wanted to make some excuse and leave but you couldn't walk past him without revealing the pregnancy test still stashed behind your back. They had fulfilled the extent of appropriate social behavior for the situation, so there wasn't much else to say. It's not like they were friends, they had only ever said a few words to each other. 

"So, are we just gonna pretend like you aren't hiding a pregnancy test behind your back?"

(Y/N) exhaled loudly, as if she had been punched in the stomach. Of course Peter had seen the test. You blushed, starting to feel embarrassed but this feeling was quickly replaced by annoyance. Even if he had seen the test he didn't have to point it out to you like that. Why couldn't he have just let you pass without them having an awkward conversation about it?  Anyways, you had nothing to be ashamed of. So what, you had sex and needed a pregnancy test. You figured most girls by the time they were seniors in college had done the same thing at some point or another. Standing a little taller and glaring at him you spoke.