T E N

You stayed with Steve in the coffee shop until it closed, forcing you back onto the dark city streets. Enjoying a break from the stress of the past two days, you had stayed in the comfortable coffee shop chairs, talking about anything and everything, from favorite movies to family histories. You listened to Steve talking about how when he came out of the ice, all his family had long since passed away and the avengers had become his new family. He smiled fondly telling you stories of past missions and even practical jokes played on each other around the tower. 

It was clear how much he loved his team. The old you would have been jealous of the strong bonds and support system he had been able to make, but your desire for those kinds of connections were long gone. They only led to disappointment. At least, that's what you told yourself.

When he started asking questions about your family the conversation halted. Not wanting to go too much into detail about that particular aspect of your personal life, you gave him the short version of the story. You explained how your parents had split, when you were in middle school. They had been constantly fighting and to you it had felt like the divorce was a long-time coming. Even so, it had been your first time seeing a relationship fail and hadn't exactly boosted your confidence in ever having a successful monogamous relationship of your own.  

You knew there was much more to the story in terms of your current relationship with your parents but you weren't ready to share that. Thankfully, Steve hadn't pushed the subject. 

As you had stayed at the coffee shop until it closed it had gotten quite late. You decided to take Steve up on his offer to stay in one of the tower guest rooms for the night. It obviously wasn't your first choice but you had lived in New York long enough to know that it wasn't a good idea to take a subway from Midtown alone at this hour. 

The conversation with Steve continued to flow naturally as you walked side by side on the city streets all the way back to the living room of Stark Tower. The awkwardness had long since dissipated and you felt the familiar relaxation and comfort in his presence that you had felt on the night you had met. 

Too tired to even take off your jacket you flopped down on the couch, your head resting on the pillows piled together in the corner. Steve walked to the opposite side of the couch where he stood resting his arms on the top casually. You blushed noticing the way the movement defined the muscles on his arms even through his jacket. Steve leaned over the back of the couch slowly, moving closer to you when a familiar voice called out to them. 

"Hey, you guys made it back! I thought you had left without saying goodbye!" Peter made an exaggerated pouty face followed by a smirk when he saw Steve move away from you standing back up straight.

"Oh good, I'm glad you're here. Maybe you can talk some sense into her," Steve chuckled, eyeing (Y/N), knowing this comment would get a rise out of her. He couldn't help but find it cute when she was annoyed, eyebrows furrowed and the bridge of her nose creased together. Seeing the current look on her face he wasn't disappointed.

"Uhh hello Steve, I'm right here." You added a little sarcastic wave, ticked off that he was talking about you like you weren't there.

Steve knew he shouldn't but couldn't help himself from leaning over the couch again placing a quick kiss on your forehead before heading back towards the long hallway that led to his room. 

"Of course, (Y/N). Peter, can you make sure she finds one of the guest bedrooms?" 

Your mouth hung half-open in surprise, too frazzled by the fact that he had just kissed you to say anything. Peter's smirk continued to grow seeing the interaction.

"Yea, of course," Peter replied, nodding in Steve's direction. Seemingly satisfied that you would be taken care of Steve continued towards his bedroom, calling out over his shoulder as he went.