Chapter 1: Undo, Pia

Pia's ears rang. Her body needed time to adjust. She gasped and coughed, feeling as though she hadn't taken a breath in minutes. Pia was able to catch her wind by the time her eyes got used to the light. The sun was shining through the window on the third floor of Mitakihara middle school. The classes were about to start and all the students were hurriedly making their way to homeroom.

A powerful chill ran down Pia Undo's spine. She was not supposed to be here. Pia looked down the hall as it emptied. On the other end, she saw a small girl with pink hair and pigtails looking back at her. Pia's heart skipped. The way this girl was staring at her made Pia feel like an alien. She crossed her arms, feeling anxious without knowing why.

Ms. Saotome was quickly stepping down the hall to her class. As she turned the corner, jumped, and let out a startled, "EEP!"

The pink-haired girl seemed startled too. "M-Ms. Saotome! I-I was just going to class!"

With her arms full of books, her laptop, and a coffee, Ms. Saotome waved dismissively at the girl. "Oh it's okay Ms. Kaname, we're not late yet. Let's just-" The teacher noticed Pia at the other end of the hall. "You must be the exchange student. Homeroom is just in here. Follow me girls," the spectacled woman called before disappearing into the class between the girls. The two started walking toward the room between them. Both of them feeling uneasy about the other. Their footsteps clacked across the tan tile floor until they arrived at the classroom door.

"Hi, my name is Madoka Kaname," the pink-haired girl said. Her words were kind but she almost seemed frightful. "What's your name?"

---

Ms. Saotome wrote the new name on the digital whiteboard.

The new green-haired girl faced the class, "My name is Undo, Pia. I-I'm new here and I hope we can all get along.." Fear started taking hold of her. Pia felt like everyone in the room was laughing at her. People usually said she was pretty, and that she should put on some weight--but Pia couldn't believe them. She felt fat and ugly. They would laugh at Pia. This was exactly why she had worn a mask throughout the duration of her Executioner training.

As the class continued, Pia sat with her arms crossed on her desk, her bright green eyes distant. She didn't know why she was here or how only some people seemed to know her. It was like Pia had been plucked straight out of reality and thrown in a...parallel universe. Pia began to sweat. The thought of it was terrifying but entirely possible. She might never see her friends again. Already they were becoming blurry in her mind. These cyclical thoughts were what occupied Pia's mind throughout that day until a hand touched her shoulder.

"Pia Undo? That is your name, isn't it?" asked a heavy raven-haired girl. Her dark purple eyes were cold and unyielding.

"Maybe you shouldn't be so harsh, Homura," Madoka said, standing beside the taller, overweight girl.

"We need to know where she came from and how she got here. We can ask her now that class is over," Homura said plainly.

"Truthfully, I can't tell you any of that. I don't know myself," Pia said.

"You're lying. There's no need. It doesn't matter what you are, we're going to have to deal with you eventually. You might as well tell us everything now," Homura said with a little agitation.

"We might not know each other yet, but who knows, maybe we can help you," Madoka said. She stepped forward and gave Pia a cheerful smile.

"I think I might have been sent here as part of my test. I'm an Executioner," Pia said softly.

Madoka stepped back. "What? Is that like a Cibus, Homura?"

Pia studied the tall, heavy girl. "What does Madoka mean, 'Cibus'? Are you Executioner's too?"