Chapter 4: Sakura, Kyoko

The TV broadcasted Mitakihara's local news. Madoka couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Tatsuya, you have to eat your tomatoes if you want to grow big and strong," Tomohisa Kaname said.

"Tato-Tato- Mato!" Tatsuya cheered happily.

Junko Kaname watched with worry as Madoka gazed at her half-empty bowl of cereal with a thousand-yard stare.

Madoka was fighting back tears. The news they were watching began talking about the storm last night. The reporter detailed what they thought had happened, "..an estimated 300,000 dollars in property damage. Thankfully there were no fatalities, however, countless dead sea creatures have washed ashore. Experts suggest a radiation storm might have been the cause...In other news, a middle-schooler named Sayaka Miki was found dead earlt this morning. Officials believe she was the tragic victim of a hit and run...sources say..."

Junko wanted to ask what was wrong but Madoka stood up.

"I, um, I'm going to school early this morning," she said.

---

There was no sun on that day. Only grey clouds and rain. A half-built skyscraper stood adjacent to Homura's apartment. Kyoko waited there for Homura to emerge. She would make her point with one fell swoop. From this high up, It would be easy to take the leap. The redheaded Cibus snaked on animal crackers as she spied on Homura's residence.

"Good afternoon," Pia greeted.

Kyoko jumped. "Whoa! Remind me to put a bell on you."

"I thought we should get this out of the way, seeing as you were so intent on conflict," Pia said.

"Hm, by your waist size I can see that you made a contract. If you want to die that bad...Still, you Mitakihara girls are tough. The pink one made a contract too right? What did you guys wish for anyway? Hope it was worth your life!" Kyoko challenged.

"Well you see, Madoka noticed that Homura always seems to be protecting her. I think that made Madoka feel guilty. Either way, she didn't want Homura to be alone anymore. I think maybe she wanted to protect Homura just as much. That's why she wished for someone to protect Homura, always," Pia explained.

A bright red light erupted momentarily as Kyoko transformed. She rested her crimson spear over her shoulder. "You don't say."

Pia's smile faded. "Homura might have facilitated my arrival, but I am Madoka's wish, and you threaten all of us. Leave us alone, then there will be no need to fight."

Kyoko popped a few more crackers in her mouth and crunched loudly. "Let's get this straight. You draw a line in the sand, and then you tell me you don't want to fight? Sorry, chick, you ain't backing out of this one. You're just using Madoka as an excuse, and that really pisses me off! Alright green-bean, let's see what you can do!"

A green streak wrapped around Pia as she transformed into her new Cibus uniform, a beautiful--albeit stretched, emerald green dress. In her left hand, the girl held her sword...her Wind Pier. Pia finally felt complete. This was her purpose here. The green Cibus raised and readied her weapon. "Okay..I'm ready!"

---

The doorbell rang. Homura was sure it was Madoka. By now it was usually Madoka. Homura got up to let her in, just like always.

"H-Homura, could I come in?" Madoka asked.

Madoka was surprised to see that Homura had manufactured a reality marble inside the apartment. The area was aglow with white light, strange pictures that floated, and a massive mechanical pendulum. Homura rested on her backless couch. "What did you want to talk about, Madoka?" asked Homura.