4 | October Country

Dedicated to ryaninnyc

Cyrus

IV

Cyrus' day started off horrid. The glass in his skin only caused it to get worse.

On any other occasion, listening to Christian rant about the amazing books he sunk his teeth into would have been a tiny bit amusing. Today, all he had on his mind was what happened last night. The look on Rowan's face when Cyrus told him everything haunted until morning. It was a miracle they didn't check him into an asylum at once.

His heart sank about Hazel and how he did nothing. He felt nauseous thinking about it. With any luck, Rowan was right, and somehow a pill ended up in his mouth. Night terror or hallucination. Those are the only things making sense right now.

He should have ignored Rowan and called the police.

'And tell them what?' He argued with himself. 'Help, there's a tall grey creature with glowing eyes and claws that cooped up my friend and carried her away?'

The drive home was fifteen minutes and falling asleep took over two hours. That's two hours and forty-five minutes he should have been using to turn over every rock in this town to find her.

As the two made their way down the halls, Cyrus went pale at the sight of the golden badge a few feet ahead of them. Sheriff Silva had a thin line across his face as he jutted down information on a notepad smaller than his hand. Sweat pooled and traveled down his forehead, raining down on the paper. Infront him stood none other than Jennifer Mills, cheerleading captain. From how she raised her flaky bleached eyebrows, whatever she heard had to be more shocking than a 'pop up sale' at the mall. Which only meant one thing.

Before Cyrus turned to make a B line and avoid confrontation, a hand grabbed onto his shoulder. He winced at the immediate sting radiating from the force, stopping in his tracks to see who caused it.

"Hey." Rowan said.

Cyrus' throat dried up, the numbness in his legs returning to haunt him.

"Rowan, what is your dad doing here?" Christian spoke up first, giving Cyrus a few seconds to collect himself.

"Didn't you say Hazel was home when you got there?" Christian continued.

When did they have this conversation? Did no one think they should tell him?

"Her room was trashed when I got there, so I guessed she was in the bathroom. She still isn't answering her phone, either. Dad stayed up all night waiting for her to walk through the door and when she didn't, he came here to see if she slept at a friend's house."

"Shouldn't you be searching for her around town or something? Like gathering a search party" Cyrus tried his best to act natural, growing annoyed at how nonchalant Rowan sounded after what had happened.

Could he blame him, though? Rowan didn't know better. He wasn't kidding. Nothing bad ever happens in Oakwood. Their biggest crime this time of year would be some middle schooler shoplifting.

"Searching for what, exactly? Pft, please, you still hung up on that monster thing? Both of you are just overreacting. It's not the first time she has done this. Besides, doesn't someone have to disappear for twenty-four hours before being missing?"

Yeah, Rowan was to be blamed.

"Common misconception actually, it's best to report the person missing to law enforcement as soon as possible."