21 | Nosebleed

Dedicated to winnoww

Aiden

XXI

Aiden hoped his fuzzy memory would have cleared in the two weeks he was locked up but nothing came back to him.

All he had to work with were the flashes of blood, gunshots and laying in the grass next to a dead body. Now, he had one answer to his questions. His family was murdered. Even after Christian showed him the picture of his mother, nothing happened inside. He didn't get new memories nor did he get struck with grief. What kind of son cannot remember their mother?

One that has been dead for twenty years he was guessing. How did he even end up back here? Why now? All those thoughts spinning around his head made him confused and that confusion caused him to slip up and nearly hurt Christian in the process. He doesn't want to be what everyone else is calling him. A monster, a murderer. Even if he had no memory, he was sure that's not who he was.

A fire cannot stay lit without air or something to burn so the plan was to stay isolated. He would have stayed in that dark empty cell forever if he had to as long as it meant no one else would get hurt by his hands. That was the original plan, but his mind craved more. He wanted to know what happened to him in the past and Christian was offering to show it to him. Something in that house could make him remember.

To his surprise the second they walked out of the police department, they stepped into another building; a wooden one with unkempt walls, heaps of dust and furniture covered in tarps. Aiden was the last to enter, the door behind him shaking its delicate walls with a loud slam.

"How did we get here?" Christian asked, his soft voice ringing with confusion.

Aiden felt a tinge of jealousy towards Christian's friend. What was his name again? Tyrus?

For days he concentrated on his hands, willing flames to appear and disappear but that was it. All he could do was be a human matchstick while Tyrus could move things with his mind, extinguish his fires and now apparently transport them to anywhere he wanted. It seemed he drew the better hand in the witch raffle. 

"Cyrus?" Christian addressed his friend for an answer. Oh yeah, that's his name.

"I don't know," he said. "All I did was open the door."

Cyrus rushed past the two of them swinging the front door open to find an unkempt lawn with overgrown grass and wild weeds rummaging around. Beyond that, Aiden could make out a few houses across the street that fit with the vibe this one gave off; old, run-down and uninhabitable. This entire neighbourhood was a fire hazard. He has been here before, the make out of the neighbourhood taking him back to when those houses had been freshly painted in warm fall colours. He must have been what? Five when he would get dragged back inside from the lawn whenever the neighbours walked by.

"So you teleported us here by accident? Like how you ended up at the lake?! That's incredible!" Christian's expression lit up, tiny shimmers in his eyes from excitement.

Aiden didn't get what for, they went from one place to the other, it wasn't that big of a deal. Magic existed, big deal. Still, seeing how amused the other boy got made him second guess himself. Has Cyrus never done that before?

"This is the Moreno house." Cyrus examined the area, running his fingers along the walls and dusting them off right after. "I guess that means we are on the right track."

"Wait!" Christian gasped. "Veronica's car is at the station! She is going to kill me!"

Who's Veronica?