Chapter 3

R pov:

Grantaire was sitting at the back of his class for his first lesson, literature. Due to his tendency to joke around and distract his friends the teacher had sat him there earlier on in the year. He cradled a strong cup of coffee and his usual hangover headache in the far corner. A smirk crept onto his lips as he watched his friends at the front of the room. 

They were gathered around an island of tables; Jehan with his legs on Feuilly's lap and draped across his chair in a splash of colour; Bahorel looming over the small teacher as he argued about an essay he was meant to have completed a week ago; Bossuet was being fussed over, as was the routine, by Joly. (Today he had somehow managed to spill boiling coffee all down his shirt.)

Ferre and Courf were a few tables apart from them. Ferre with his file stuffed full of papers and head most likely filled with clever responses to upcoming quizzes. They were talking in hushed tones. An empty seat was beside them where no doubt Enjolras would claim his spot.

Grantaire returned to forming idle doodles around the words. After a few light strokes he removed the cap of his coffee cup and blew across the brown surface, swirling it into a miniature whirlpool. The morning aroma and steam wafted up to him. He took a small sip, scolding the back of his throat and letting a bubble of warmth blossom deep inside of him.

"Hi." He heard a rich voice beside him and nearly snorted his coffee. Enjolras stood over him. His blond hair gathering around the nape of his neck in golden coils. Enjolras's outfit consisted of a red plaid shirt hung loose with sleeves rolled up, over a grey t-shirt and tight black jeans. His eyes, which were fixed on Grantaire, seemed darker, deeper as if Grantaire was being lowered through the layers of the ocean towards his watery grave. Grantaire quickly looked away.

"Hi." He mumbled back.

"Is anyone sitting here?" Enjolras asked mildly, his arms laden down with new books.

Grantaire frowned for a moment. 'Sit next to me?!' He thought. In the few moments he spent in confusion, Enjolras's smile faltered. " Um. Sure If you want to." He said before his chance would turn away.

Enjolras beamed down at him, dragging back the seat and sitting down. "Those are good." He pointed towards Grantaire's page.

"Thanks." He murmured, feeling warmth flush his cheeks.'Why is he being so nice?' Grantaire shuffled uneasily in his seat.

"So why aren't you sitting next to your friends?"

"I'm meant to be disruptive." He admitted. "If you don't want to be distracted maybe..."

"I don't mind." Enjolras said with another bewildering smile. It transformed his already beautiful face to something divine. It was the face of an angel Grantaire decided. It was so unfair, to be so close but denied, Grantaire's life was becoming more and more lamentable. He allowed himself to wallow in a deep sigh.

The teacher started talking. Halting any conversation with his drone on metaphors and pathetic fallacy. Grantaire kept up his drawings, attempting to not get distracted by Enjolras's closeness. He nearly shot out of his seat as the boy leaned in towards him.

"Don't you take notes?" The blond whispered conspicuously into his ear. The small draft of air making his neck hairs rise with a prickly sensation. Grantaire cleared his throat uneasily, it had grown unbearably dry.

"No, I can make it up pretty well." He admitted ruefully. "It helps that Jehan lets me share his notes."

"Do you not concentrate in every class?" Enjolras exclaimed.