Chapter 5

Enj pov:

It was the first meeting of his club "Les amis de l'abc", it was no surprise that all of his friends were there. Cosette had managed to convince her father, Mr Valjean, to let her join them after she finished her flute lessons at her school. Therefore, she and Marius were hanging up their coats and taking their seats. So far the only other person out of Grantaire's and his friends group was the upperclassman Montparnasse who had taken a seat at the back and remained silently detached as he watched them. Eponine would not be pleased if she was here. He had seen her getting in his face four times this week, looking more and more exasperated with him. Fortunately she was at work.

Enjolras found his gaze had involuntarily shifted to Grantaire who, although he had protested the point of such a society, was sitting in the front with his feet raised onto the table. They had become close friends and frequent sparring partners in arguments. Grantaire noticed his attention and lifted his hand in a mocking salute. Enjolras turned away as he felt warmth rise in him, he loudly cleared his throat.

"I'm guessing this is everybody." He said with a sigh.

"Don't sound so happy to see us!" Grantaire replied with a grin, receiving a glare from Enjolras.

"Well thank you for coming." Enjolras continued, "I know most of you put a lot of effort to help me organise this and some of you didn't." He looked straight at Grantaire then, who just shrugged.

"The Les Amis supports all differences and we will be taking part in some parades to support them. We are all here to fight for a better, more aware and accepting world. There is a pride parade a few towns away coming up soon. Until then I think we should bring awareness to certain species of animals and insects whose numbers are dwindling everyday. Especially bees. Jehan you had an idea for this didn't you?"

"Yes, a flower stall that sells flowers that bees like..."

"Um... Hello, is this where we come for the ABC society?" A timid voice came from the doorway. He was a quite small boy with blonde hair which's edges were dyed a vivid blue. Next to him was a girl who was even taller than Enjolras with dark skin and braids which had silver and purple string woven in them.

"Yes...Yes...wait, do I know you?" Enjolras asked though he clearly didn't.

"Nope." The girl replied, "But we got the flyer."

"The flyer?"

She handed him a slip of paper. A slip of paper Enjolras had never seen but was definitely advertising the society. On it was a beautiful sketch with each of the original Amis on it, with him standing at the front, depicting the perfect leader dressed in red. Each of the letters block black but outlined with the flags of each sexuality and gender bordering them. Right at the bottom of the flyer was a block of writing. '

For people who advocate equal rights in all areas. A place where everyone is accepted regardless unless they are 1) Homophobic, Transphobic, Biphobic and just generally Phobic of humans 2) Racist 3) Misogynistic. We also are environmentally friendly (so maybe paper flyers weren't the best idea). Chill environment, may have some intense arguments and definitely have a hot blonde leader. Come if you want.'

"Where did you get this?" Enjolras asked quietly. Re-reading the whole thing in disbelief. The only advertisement he had done was to put a yellow sheet with all the information on the notice board.

"He was handing them out earlier." The girl replied with a wave towards Grantaire, who had a smug shit eating grin plastered on his face from where he sat.

"I don't understand." Combeferre said for Enjolras. Taking the flyer from Enjolras's hands and reading it for himself.

"Well your poster gave me a headache before I was even half way through it." Grantaire explained. "So I thought I could help you out a bit."

"But you don't believe in this." Enjolras blurted out.

"I believe in you. Though it is true I doubt a small society will have much impact when the only people who will listen already stand with us, but if anyone can get the world to listen, you can."

Enjolras's head was spinning with confusion. Grantaire believed in him, but Grantaire didn't believe in anything?

"Thanks R." Ferre said before introducing the newcomers around. A few more joined until their numbers had grown by five. The original blue haired boy was trans and called Leo, the girl introduced herself as Natalie and Asexual, staring at them all as if daring them to argue with her. Of course no one did. Next were two twins Jessie and Michael who had come to show support to their younger sibling, Alex, who had been killed a year ago by some stranger who wouldn't accept them as human. The last person was a spanish kid, Julio, who came mainly for the environmental side of things and quickly started chatting to Jehan in rapid spanish.

After everyone was settled Enjolras introduced himself and started explaining the plan of action. He noticed that Grantaire's eyes stayed fixed on him and often had to stop to try and rub the flush off his neck and swallow some air. He tried to never make eye contact for the fear that his words would disintegrate in his mouth and he would be left a gaping mess by those green eyes.

He finished the meeting, letting people file out. Most of the Amis stayed for a while, lingering to continue their conversations, except for Jehan who left still talking to Julio. Ferre, Courf, Marius and Cosette all congratulated Enjolras before meandering out.

Enjolras was planning to wait until everyone but Grantaire had gone, however Bahorel and Feuilly made it blatantly obvious that they wanted to stay and spectate, so he made his move anyway.

Grantaire had slung his bag over his shoulder and was attempting to shove his papers inside of it. Enjolras tried to approach him in the most casual way possible, with one of his hands clasped to the back of his neck and the other one stuffed into his pockets to hide how much his palms were sweating. Grantaire glanced up and smiled before returning to his bag.

Enjolras could feel his throat tightening and his cheeks heating up until he was certain he would spontaneously combust. He coughed slightly, waiting for Grantaire to stop fiddling with his satchels buckles and look at him. Grantaire didn't. He continued re-clasping and unclasping his bag until Enjolras coughed again and Grantaire couldn't ignore him any longer.

"Yes?" He asked, sweetly, Enjolras could see he was acting oblivious, although the corners of his mouth gave Grantaire away as they twitched up.

"Thanks R..." He mumbled. "I didn't know you cared."

"I don't. Not about the society anyway."

"Well what you did meant a lot to me... to all of us. Thank you."

"Anything for you Apollo." Grantaire said with a soft smile, his ashy curls toppling in front of his eyes as he looked down. Enjolras's fingers itched to lift Grantaire's chin so he could find an answer for why Grantaire had done all of this in those stunning eyes.

"Is it always going to be Apollo now?" He tried to sound exasperated but couldn't help feeling a jolt of happiness at the thought of Grantaire having a nickname just for him.

"Do you have a problem with that?"

"No. I suppose not."