Secrets

After school, Scarlett got dropped off at the hospital and when she walked in to find Amelia, she was sent to an OR gallery. Her mother was yet again operating with Dr. Lincoln. The two doctor were talking and then Linc looked up to find Scarlett looking back at him.
"Scarlett's here," Link told Amelia discreetly.
Dr. Shepherd looked up to see her daughter waiting.
"Her and Zola are moving into Derek's old study," Amelia told him lowly with a look. He smiled to himself.

Scarlett was reading when suddenly the door to the gallery opened.
"Hey," Amelia said.
Scarlett looked up and then got her stuff together and got up.
"How was school?" Amelia asked as they started to walk down the hall.
"Ehh," Scarlett shrugged.
"Did something happen?" Amelia asked, starting to get nervous.
"I saw Alexa, my friend from LA," Scarlett told her.
"Ohh," Amelia sighed casually.
"She didn't even text me and tell me she was here. Apparently she's been in Seattle since August," Scarlett let it out.
"Ohh," Amelia's tone changed since she could tell Scarlett was upset by this.
"So what did you say to her?" Amelia wondered.
"Well I asked her why she didn't text me and she said it was because I was going through a lot and her parents told her not to bother me. Her parents hate me by the way," Scarlett explained.
"Why do they hate you?" Amelia asked.
"Because I did drugs and-" Scarlett stopped talking and said,
"And they didn't approve of that."
She caught herself before she could expose herself for why they truly hated her.
"Are you okay?" Amelia asked.
Scarlett looked at her and nodded as she said,
"Yeah. It's just weird she didn't text me or anything. I asked her if she wanted to hang out after school but she's helping her dad with something."
"Maybe you guys can do something this weekend," Amelia offered.
Scarlett nodded and said,
"Year maybe."
Amelia nodded and then changed the subject by saying,
"Max called me a while ago and we were talking and he said you could probably apply for a job at the bakery his friend owns."
"Really? Doesn't Alice work there?" Scarlett asked.
"Yeah and it's pretty close to your school so you could just walk to work," Amelia told her.
"Okay," Scarlett said.
"Okay?" Amelia questioned.
"I'll apply there," the teenager said to her. Amelia smiled and said,
"We can head over there on our way home."

Amelia stayed true to her word and stopped at the bakery before going home.They walked in and Amelia ordered a coffee for herself and an iced tea for her daughter. Then Scarlett walked up to the counter and the boy working looked a little younger than Scarlett and he had a sweet smile.
"How can I help you?" he asked.
"I was wondering if you had any job openings here I could apply for?" Scarlett said with a smile at the end.
The boy said,
"One moment," and then went into the back kitchen. He returned seconds later with his father.
"Are you Scarlett?" the man asked with a smile. Scarlett nodded.
"I got lunch with your dad earlier and he said you might be stopping by," the man said. Then he held out his hand and said,
"I'm Kenny."
"Nice to meet you," Scarlett replied with a smile as she shook his hand.
"This is Charlie and my older son Jameson should be getting here any minute," Kenny said and Charlie gave her a friendly wave.
Kenny then handed her a piece of paper and said,
"Here's an application. Get it back to me whenever you can."
"Thank you," Scarlett said and took the paper from him.

Amelia handed her a pen and she went and sat down to fill it out. Then when Amelia's drinks were ready she brought them and sat with Scarlett. As the girl was finishing up her application, the door opened and teenage boy walked in. He walked into the back room and then returned and sat behind the counter with a book. He must've been Jameson, Kenny's older son. He looked up and noticed Scarlett filling out the application. She looked up at him and then after realizing what they were doing, they quickly went back to minding their own business.
Amelia noticed the whole interaction and smiled to herself.
"Done," Scarlett said and handed the pen back to her mom. Then she walked up to the counter and handed the paper to Jameson.
"Thanks, I'll be sure to give it to my dad," he said with a smile.
Scarlett let out a small grin and then walked over to meet her mom at the door.

The car ride home was quiet but then Scarlett looked out her window as they were passing an ice cream shop and she spotted Alexa and Kayla sitting outside with milkshakes. Her heart broke into a million pieces in that moment. She realized Alexa lied to her about that on top of when she moved there and to top it off, she was slowly being replaced by Kayla and it killed her. She and Alexa have been best friends since they were little so this was rough to see.

Later that night at dinner Maggie turned to Scarlett and said,
"I heard you applied for a job at a bakery."
Scarlett looked at her mother and then to Maggie and said,
"Yes, Max knows the person who runs the bakery."
"That would be fun... working with your sister," Maggie said cautiously.
Scarlett nodded and said,
"Yeah it'll be a good way to get to know her."
"What are your thoughts on Jameson?" Amelia asked with a look.
Scarlett rolled her eyes and sighed,
"I don't know. He seems nice."
"He's cute don't ya think?" Amelia asked.
"What are you doing?" Maggie whispered to Amelia.
"Just go with it?" Amelia said back.
"So Jameson?" Maggie asked with the same look Amelia had on.
Scarlett looked to Meredith with a raised eyebrow and nodded to the other two women.
"Are you two kidding me?" Meredith turned to her sisters and asked.
"What?" Amelia asked innocently.
"Scarlett doesn't need you to play matchmaker for her. She's a big girl, I think she can make her own decisions when it comes to dating," Meredith said confidently.
"Why is Meredith the only normal one between you three?" Scarlett asked sarcastically as she got up to clear her plate.
"She's right, isn't she?" Amelia asked Maggie.
"Yep," Maggie said without missing a beat.
"I'm just saying, he seemed like a sweet boy-" Amelia started to say so Meredith cut her off by saying,
"Take it down a notch Mrs. Robinson," which got an eye roll from Amelia and smirk from Scarlett.

Later that night after getting ready for bed, Amelia walked in to find Scarlett on her mattress reading a book.
"I bet you'll be happy to be sleeping in a real bed soon," she said. Scarlett looked up from her book and just nodded.
"Listen, I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable when I brought up Jameson, I just thought you two would get along nice," Amelia said sincerely as she took a seat on her bed.
"I'm sure that's what you thought," Scarlett scoffed.
Amelia sensed the attitude behind that statement and said,
"Well you thought he was cute, didn't you?"
"Appearance isn't everything," Scarlett said back instantly. Amelia noticed this cold attitude Scarlett brought out whenever Amelia tried talking to her about boys.
"You're right, appearance isn't everything and when you do find a boyfriend I hope he makes you happy, and that's all that'll matter to me," Amelia said softly to her.
"I don't think I'll be dating any boys anytime soon," Scarlett said back without even looking up. Amelia sighed and asked,
"Is there something you're not telling me that I should know? Every time I bring up boys you shut down. Do you not like boys?" Amelia asked cautiously.
Scarlett finally put her book down and then she joined her mom on her bed.
"I guess we've never really talked about this, but it's not that I don't like boys, I do." She stopped to think for a moment and then she added,
"But I think I might like girls too. I mean, I've never kissed a girl or had a girlfriend or anything just some little crushes, if that makes sense." She waited to see Amelia's reaction.
"Well there's nothing wrong with that," Amelia told her with a warm smile, allowing her to continue.
"Anyways, when I was in L.A. I had this boyfriend. He was gorgeous but he was older than me and I figured I had no chance with him," Scarlett said with a smile as she reminisced about the good old days back in LA with him. Then her warm smile faded and she continued with,
"We did end up dating for a while, but he got really controlling and by the end it was a really unhealthy relationship and I'm just glad that I was able to get out of it before it got out of hand and that I'm now away and done with him," Scarlett said and looked up at her mom. Amelia looked a little worried about the situation her daughter was in and asked hesitantly,
"Did this boyfriend of yours... hurt you?"
Scarlett went quiet and said,
"It was a really toxic relationship but it was in the past and I'm in a much better place now. I'm over it."
"Scar," Amelia said quietly and she looked into her daughter's beautiful blue eyes.
"I meant to ask if he ever physically hit you?" Amelia asked, hoping the answer was no.
"Yeah umm, like I said... it was bad. His father was an abusive alcoholic so when it started, I guess I wasn't even surprised," Scarlett said quietly and looked down.
"What was his name?" Amelia then asked.
"Why?" Scarlett wanted to know.
"Because I want to make sure he gets no where near you, god forbid he ever comes to Seattle," Amelia told her.
Scarlett thought for a second and then said,
"Noah Walker."